Why no small high-quality lathes?

I currently have an old Jet 9x20 that needs replacing. My problem is that I have very little room in my shop, so I am limited to a 9x, 10x, or maybe 11x24. 12x is just too large, as is x36.

The problem is that I can't find a quality full-featured lathe in that size range. The Chinese lathes I can find are generally in the $1,000 range for a 9x to the $1,600 range for an 11x. But these are not quality or full-featured lathes. Usually no VFD, usually a combo threading/turning lead screw, often no reverse power carriage feed, usually no power cross feed, usually limited thread pitches, usually no Cam Lock chuck, often too slow of a top speed (1,500 RPM or less), usually too fast of minimum turning feed rate, never a brake, ..., etc.

The closest thing I've found to approximately what I'm looking for is the Southbend 8K (8x18) (South Bend Lathe Co.) for about $3,000. But it is a step down in size from what I want, and I'd rather stay at 9x or go a step up.

The next closest thing I've found is the Precision Mathews PM1127VF-LB (PM1127VF Lathe). But it has some threading weirdnesses, is hard to get, and has a bit too large of a footprint for my space.

I want a new lathe, not a used lathe or old-style lathe. I'm willing to pay in the range of $3,500 for a 9x and $5,000 for an 11x, i.e., two to three times the price of standard Chinese lathes from Grizzly/Enco/Jet ...

Does no such thing exist, or have I just not found it? I find it hard to believe there is no market for such a machine.

Any pointers to a new, small, high-quality, full-featured lathe would be appreciated. Or even confirmation that none exist would help.

Thanks, Keith
What is the limiting factor length or depth, I had a similar problem. I wanted the largest lathe I could get to fit in a small space and finally settled on the LD1216 A Taiwanese built machine with an overall footprint of 50"x30" without stand. It has all the features and can be ordered with imperial or metric leadscrew, it also comes with the 120x127 change gears to cut the other pitches if needed. it can also be ordered with left hand or right hand apron. Fitted with a geared headstock and a norton style feed box . I haven't done a lot of work on mine yets, but I am quite satisfied as to the quality of build, everything is tight and firm yet smooth, and very rigid. far superior to anything I could find from China. The 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks are of excellent quality, the 13mm keyless drill chuck is one of the best I have ever seen.

Check it out, google Liang Dei Lathes.

Happy hunting,

Bob.

Last edited:
I currently have an old Jet 9x20 that needs replacing. My problem is that I have very little room in my shop, so I am limited to a 9x, 10x, or maybe 11x24. 12x is just too large, as is x36.

The problem is that I can't find a quality full-featured lathe in that size range. The Chinese lathes I can find are generally in the $1,000 range for a 9x to the $1,600 range for an 11x. But these are not quality or full-featured lathes. Usually no VFD, usually a combo threading/turning lead screw, often no reverse power carriage feed, usually no power cross feed, usually limited thread pitches, usually no Cam Lock chuck, often too slow of a top speed (1,500 RPM or less), usually too fast of minimum turning feed rate, never a brake, ..., etc.

The closest thing I've found to approximately what I'm looking for is the Southbend 8K (8x18) (South Bend Lathe Co.) for about $3,000. But it is a step down in size from what I want, and I'd rather stay at 9x or go a step up.

The next closest thing I've found is the Precision Mathews PM1127VF-LB (PM1127VF Lathe). But it has some threading weirdnesses, is hard to get, and has a bit too large of a footprint for my space.

I want a new lathe, not a used lathe or old-style lathe. I'm willing to pay in the range of $3,500 for a 9x and $5,000 for an 11x, i.e., two to three times the price of standard Chinese lathes from Grizzly/Enco/Jet ...

Does no such thing exist, or have I just not found it? I find it hard to believe there is no market for such a machine.

Any pointers to a new, small, high-quality, full-featured lathe would be appreciated. Or even confirmation that none exist would help.

Thanks, Keith

This post keep popping up on my screen, but I have not seen an update recently, so just wondering did you ever find a suitable machine?

I know this is an old thread and Im sure the propper lathe has been taken ownership of. I spoke with Nicole at Presision Mathews today inquiring about the lathes. She made it clear to me that this their brand and the company that manufactures the PM equipment does so to Matt's( the owner of PM) spech's. I wanted to know if I could get a cross feed dial that would read .200" per revolution to take out the math work while maching. Her reply was yes. She also said they can tailor the equipment to customers spechs. So just a heads up, need a 7.5 tpi gear, they can provide it. Need short bed on heavy duty lathe, covered. Anyways, just a heads up. She seamed real accommodating to me per my requests. Im buying my lathe from PM next few weeks. Nice thing also, shipping is a flat fee.

I know this is an old thread and Im sure the propper lathe has been taken ownership of. I spoke with Nicole at Presision Mathews today inquiring about the lathes. She made it clear to me that this their brand and the company that manufactures the PM equipment does so to Matt's( the owner of PM) spech's. I wanted to know if I could get a cross feed dial that would read .200" per revolution to take out the math work while maching. Her reply was yes. She also said they can tailor the equipment to customers spechs. So just a heads up, need a 7.5 tpi gear, they can provide it. Need short bed on heavy duty lathe, covered. Anyways, just a heads up. She seamed real accommodating to me per my requests. Im buying my lathe from PM next few weeks. Nice thing also, shipping is a flat fee.

G'day from Downunder, As far as I can tell the PM lathes are near identical to the one in my avatar pic. I know they are both made in the same factory in Taiwan, The specs read the same, and apart from a few cosmetic differences they appear to be the same. It's just not possible to really check because the PM brand is not available in Downunder land. Which model are you getting? I bought this lathe specifically for the following reasons.

1. Made in Taiwan, far superior to Chinese made. all the Chinese ones available here are junk.
2. the dealer here in Downunder, actually in Melbourne 500 m away were fantastic to deal with. Couldn't have been more helpful.
3. it was the only lathe I could find that came in a very short bed, only 16" between centers, and yet still had a 12"swing. No room for anything longer. The only downside is no gap, but honestly I don't think I'll ever need one.

I have no need for the .002" cross feed dial, I was trained to, and have always used depth of cut. But I am interested in what gear they supply for the 7.5 T.P.I

While I haven't tested mine to the limits yet, I'm very happy with it, runs smooth, and quiet, The geared headstock is easy to use and the Norton style quick change feed gear box is a delight.

I hope you enjoy yours as well.

Well I'm still pondering on which one, but It looks like it will be the PM-1340GT.
By all accounts an excellent machine. i wish i had room for one that size,

Hi,
I haven't read the whole post so maybe someone else has mentioned them but there is a company in Austria that make lathes. It's called Klippfeld. The prices are reasonable to me. I don't know if they export out of the E.U.
Mark

From $2500-$5500? No more than the others, are they?
No matter, they don't ship to the US.

Back