Why no small high-quality lathes?

The PM 1228 mentioned above has NO POWER CROSSFEED. When you look at smaller lathes,look at the carriage and see if there's a lever for engaging a power cross feed. The PM model only has the half nut lever
I'm not sure how the feed lever is set up, but you can see that it has a separate feed rod in the pictures. Even the smaller PM1023v has power feed.

The bed of that machine seems small looking. The tailstock casting seems weak. Why is there just a single thickness "wall" of iron connecting the upper and lower parts of the tailstock. It seems like a weak design. I still like the Wholesale 1224 lathe design better.

This is a newer HLVH than my 1964 model. You can tell by the narrower control box on the tailstock end of the bed. Mine is about 2x as wide.

The lathe looks like it has been used pretty hard. Less than 8 grand is indeed a VERY low price,and thee is probably a reason for that low price,meaning something significant is wrong with it. I'd be careful and ask lots of questions before buying. Hardinge parts are terribly expensive.

If he's willing to ship and still has it, there's this one just north of Chicago.

1944 SB 9 f.jpg 1944 SB 9.jpg

That is a nice little South Bend 9" model A lathe. It has power cross feed and quick change gearbox. If the bed is in good shape,a very nice little lathe that will cut a very wide range of threads.

I would like one myself,though I have 2 lathes already. My Hardinge only cuts 27 threads,unless you buy their VERY expensive extra out board change gears. Like,$500.00 a pair!In reality,the thread range of the Hardinge has been sufficient for my needs for many years. I am the kind of person who always wants to be able to do whatever comes along.

I check CL pretty regularly, there's been 2or3 emco v10 or super 11's in the Bay Area over the last couple months, yes used, but in budget. Really, your budget is the limitation, more than the machines. I had a super 11 for a while, great little lathe.

Back