1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Why no small high-quality lathes?

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by keithd, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Superburban

Superburban United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Grand Junction
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Looks like it to me. Even has the power control on the apron. lathe.JPG

2. keithd

keithd United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Los Gatos
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Yes, you are right. I stand corrected. The picture I saw on the Web site was too low resolution to see this.

Thanks. I will look into it.

--
    Keith

3. Dan_S

Dan_S Active User Active Member

City:
    Champaign
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

It's not a single thickness, it's an I-beam shape, you can see it better in this photo.
    http://machinetoolonline.com/images/Top-View.jpg

4. samthedog

samthedog Norway Active User Active Member

City:
    Hvittingfoss
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

I'm pretty certain it has power cross feed. A quick Google search shows 2 leavers on the carriage.

5. george wilson

george wilson United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Thanks,Dan. I did see that eventually. Those white lathes are hard to see details on! But,I'll guarantee,that they are the easiest of ALL to see the smallest drip of oil,or a stray chip!! WHY do they keep making WHITE machinery??????

6. Smithdoor

Smithdoor United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Clovis
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

You may need to look at a 9A or old 10K South Bend or even a Logan lathe and have to rebuild the lathe
    There are other brands out there but the price goes up

Dave

7. evilwrench

evilwrench United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Poulsbo
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Be very careful if you are considering a Grizzly. I bought their 14x40 "High Precision" lathe. Quality control is worse than I ever expected.
    The inspection report claimed the tailstock was aligned to a few tenths. In reality it was 0ver 1/8 of an inch high! I brought it into usable
    condition after much fretting and careful setup on the Bridgeport. Grizzly did say they would send me another one but not send a tech.
    to fit it to my machine, thanks but no thanks. That was the most glaring problem, there were others.

8. george wilson

george wilson United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

NEVER believe the spec paper that comes with ANY Asian lathe!!! I think they are all printed the same,and just stuck in with any lathe. The same goes with the poop sheet with a chuck. You really got unlucky! a 1/8" too high tailstock is just out of the ball park!!

I still have my 1986 16" x 42" Grizzly. But,back then,they were made in Taiwan. Now,you have to pay a LOT extra for a model made there. Other wise you get mainland Chinese. The quality control is very poor,and they will send you a lathe full of sand if they feel like it. I can't really blame them,as they get nearly nothing for their work. But,you end up on the short end of the stick. The real problem is Americans wanting something for as low a price as they can get. Try pricing a Standard Modern lathe made in North America.

Grizzly WILL send you a replacement for a really faulty part,but tailstocks need to be made to fit the lathe they are going on.

Their Chinese lathes also have TOO SOFT steel in some parts. I have seen wrecked rack gears,and a wrecked gear that ran in the rack. ACTUAL BENT OVER TEETH both on the rack and the rack gear! My friend Jon's Grizzly lathe had that happen. He now wants to only use that lathe for polishing gun barrels,and buy another lathe for turning.

Jon knows how to use a lathe,too. He worked with me in our Tool Maker's Shop in Williamsburg for MANY years. He is a master craftsman in his own right.

9. xman_charl

xman_charl Active User Active Member

City:
    vallejo
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

gotten some of grizzlys tool holders, that where not hardened

Charl

10. Christian Poulsen

Christian Poulsen United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Arvada
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I shoulda', coulda', woulda'...as I think about an old Logan I bought for $500, I reworked, then sold it for $2000 ...then the Cadillac of em' all: A Monarch EE in good shape I ran into for $10000 (including all sorts of tooling, chucks etc.) that I probably could have got for $8500 cash....anyway, now I am also looking. (Note: at the same time as that Logan I had a table top jet Mill (power feed in X) that I bought for $800 that I also gave a little TLC care to and also sold for $2000 (also looking again)....what was I thinking!!!! (I guess I wasn't!!)

11. bobshobby

bobshobby Australia H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

What is the limiting factor length or depth, I had a similar problem. I wanted the largest lathe I could get to fit in a small space and finally settled on the LD1216 A Taiwanese built machine with an overall footprint of 50"x30" without stand. It has all the features and can be ordered with imperial or metric leadscrew, it also comes with the 120x127 change gears to cut the other pitches if needed. it can also be ordered with left hand or right hand apron. Fitted with a geared headstock and a norton style feed box . I haven't done a lot of work on mine yets, but I am quite satisfied as to the quality of build, everything is tight and firm yet smooth, and very rigid. far superior to anything I could find from China. The 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks are of excellent quality, the 13mm keyless drill chuck is one of the best I have ever seen.

Check it out, google Liang Dei Lathes.

Happy hunting,

Bob.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  12. bobshobby

City:
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

This post keep popping up on my screen, but I have not seen an update recently, so just wondering did you ever find a suitable machine?

13. webphut

webphut United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Cypress
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I know this is an old thread and Im sure the propper lathe has been taken ownership of. I spoke with Nicole at Presision Mathews today inquiring about the lathes. She made it clear to me that this their brand and the company that manufactures the PM equipment does so to Matt's( the owner of PM) spech's. I wanted to know if I could get a cross feed dial that would read .200" per revolution to take out the math work while maching. Her reply was yes. She also said they can tailor the equipment to customers spechs. So just a heads up, need a 7.5 tpi gear, they can provide it. Need short bed on heavy duty lathe, covered. Anyways, just a heads up. She seamed real accommodating to me per my requests. Im buying my lathe from PM next few weeks. Nice thing also, shipping is a flat fee.

bobshobby likes this.
  14. bobshobby

City:
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

G'day from Downunder, As far as I can tell the PM lathes are near identical to the one in my avatar pic. I know they are both made in the same factory in Taiwan, The specs read the same, and apart from a few cosmetic differences they appear to be the same. It's just not possible to really check because the PM brand is not available in Downunder land. Which model are you getting? I bought this lathe specifically for the following reasons.

1. Made in Taiwan, far superior to Chinese made. all the Chinese ones available here are junk.
    2. the dealer here in Downunder, actually in Melbourne 500 m away were fantastic to deal with. Couldn't have been more helpful.
    3. it was the only lathe I could find that came in a very short bed, only 16" between centers, and yet still had a 12"swing. No room for anything longer. The only downside is no gap, but honestly I don't think I'll ever need one.

I have no need for the .002" cross feed dial, I was trained to, and have always used depth of cut. But I am interested in what gear they supply for the 7.5 T.P.I

While I haven't tested mine to the limits yet, I'm very happy with it, runs smooth, and quiet, The geared headstock is easy to use and the Norton style quick change feed gear box is a delight.

I hope you enjoy yours as well.

15. webphut

webphut United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Cypress
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Well I'm still pondering on which one, but It looks like it will be the PM-1340GT.

bobshobby and 4gsr like this.
  16. bobshobby

City:
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

By all accounts an excellent machine. i wish i had room for one that size,