Why Is G602 More Popular Than 9972?

The 'mods' on the 9972 (and I assume the 602) are not that difficult, to get the reverse feed and ability to thread left hand. The fact you have to make them says something though.:( Still the G9972 is a good little lathe, can't really complain.:eagerness:

At work, we bought a Grizzly G4000 and I was impressed with the quality for the cost. I had also had good customer service response from Grizzly. The G602 was a step up in size and would meet most of my needs at a reasonable cost.

One of the first things that I did on the G4000 was to beef up the compound clamp. When I got my G602, it was also high on my list. My current clamp is a 6 bolt design with 3 additional bolts on the dial plate as well. This provides a very rigid clamping system. Other mods that I made were adding a reverse tumbler, a spindle work stop, a carriage stop, and 3 axis DRO. With these mods, I am quite happy with the lathe.

The one exception is the belt drive system. For high speed operation the, the motor drives the spindle directly via a 3L belt. For low speed operation, the motor drives a gear belt to an intermediate pulley and from there through 3L belt to the spindle. From a drive torque perspective, this is bass ackwards! The result is that there is a lack of available drive torque when doing heavy turning at low speed. Unfortunately, I don't see a solution other than a complete redo of the drive train.

The 10" swing is actually 9-3/4", as I found out recently. I also ran into the torque limitation cutting a 7" diameter in what was essentially a trepanning operation. Heavier feeds would result in frequent stalls so a light feed had to be used.

The 'mods' on the 9972 (and I assume the 602) are not that difficult, to get the reverse feed and ability to thread left hand. The fact you have to make them says something though.:( Still the G9972 is a good little lathe, can't really complain.:eagerness:

I assume then that you have a 9972, correct? How do you like it? Would you buy it again?

At work, we bought a Grizzly G4000 and I was impressed with the quality for the cost. I had also had good customer service response from Grizzly. The G602 was a step up in size and would meet most of my needs at a reasonable cost.

One of the first things that I did on the G4000 was to beef up the compound clamp. When I got my G602, it was also high on my list. My current clamp is a 6 bolt design with 3 additional bolts on the dial plate as well. This provides a very rigid clamping system. Other mods that I made were adding a reverse tumbler, a spindle work stop, a carriage stop, and 3 axis DRO. With these mods, I am quite happy with the lathe.

The one exception is the belt drive system. For high speed operation the, the motor drives the spindle directly via a 3L belt. For low speed operation, the motor drives a gear belt to an intermediate pulley and from there through 3L belt to the spindle. From a drive torque perspective, this is bass ackwards! The result is that there is a lack of available drive torque when doing heavy turning at low speed. Unfortunately, I don't see a solution other than a complete redo of the drive train.

The 10" swing is actually 9-3/4", as I found out recently. I also ran into the torque limitation cutting a 7" diameter in what was essentially a trepanning operation. Heavier feeds would result in frequent stalls so a light feed had to be used.

Oops, but what RJ said. But I bought my G602 mainly due to space constraints rather than price. I bought the largest lathe that would fit my limited space. I did all of the mods and I like it a lot. I also made a low speed drive conversion system for those times when I may need it, but also for the challenge. I've been using mine almost daily for the past 4 years now with no problems, except for a cracked oil level window that started leaking. Here's my G0602 story when I began posting in another forum.

http://www.projectsinmetal.com/forum/general-discussion/diary-of-a-new-g0602/

I have a 9972z. One feature I preferred was a separate carriage feed. It doesn't use the half nuts. I think the 602 uses the half nuts for the feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots/most owners end up doing the modifications RJ did. They are great lathes for the money, but need some minor improvements. I did a single project that combined an auto stop, reverse tumbler, and a clutch that allows changing feed direction on the fly. The project was in 'The Home Shop Machinist' and in 2 threads here. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/threading-at-400-rpm.20196/

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/threading-at-400-rpm.20196/

and http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...the-400-rpm-threading-for-a-g0602-plan.32482/

Turning to a shoulder and high speed threading is pretty darned nice. A more advanced project, but well worth the effort.

I assume then that you have a 9972, correct? How do you like it? Would you buy it again?

Yes I have a G9972, its an older one I picked up down south of here a year or two ago (before that was using the SB9C). It's about 16years old. Doesn't have quick change gears and none of the knobs and levers the newer ones have. But I like it and given circumstance I'd buy it again. Small enough for the room I have and big enough for turning moderately big pieces.
Mine was used so I don't know how the price compares to the new lathes.

Last edited:
Back