Why Is G602 More Popular Than 9972?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just curious. I am looking at buying, and keep hearing "bigger is better". However, it seems there are lots more folks with the 10x22 than have the 11x26. It seems there are more topics on mods for the 602. So, I'm wondering why.

What is it that makes the 'smaller' lathe more popular/better?

Put another way, why should I buy one over the other?

What's a 9972, mabey the 602 needs more help, could be space limitations?.

Bigger isn't always better if you have space or money constraints, or are just simply making small(er) parts. If I had to guess, I'd say the extra length of the 11x26 might make it more cumbersome for those with smaller shops, but that's just a guess.

I went with the g0602 simply because it cuts more threads

What do you make that needs the extra thread options? Just curious to see what I haven't thought of. What threads do you cut that aren't available with the 11x26?

Gearbox vs change gears. And it's reflected in the price. That extra 300$ is for the gearbox.

Edit: personally change gears are just fine. I rarely manually cut threads so taking the time to change the gears doesn't bother me. So I would rather deal with change gears than pay an extra 300$ for something I would use maybe 5% of the time.

Gearbox vs change gears. And it's reflected in the price. That extra 300$ is for the gearbox.

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance. I thought they both had change gears for the lead screw and that you move the belt to different positions on the pulleys to change spindle speed.

What have I misunderstood?

You are correct on the gear box and belt changes for spindle speed .

And as to the threading .... I can't say that I have cut any threads yet that aren't available on the bigger lathe .
But being able to was more important to me then the few extra inches in bed lenght .

I have the 602. It was not my first choice, but it was the best I could afford. The 11X26 has a little more capacity, but not a lot. If you need the length and diameter increase, then the negatives don't matter. I prefer the threading versatility to the increase in capacity. I may never need all those threads, but its a mess if you ever do. The machines are essentially the same design. The increased weight is from the capacity difference rather than some increased beefiness in the design. Be aware that neither lathe has a reverse tumble and will not turn left handed threads without modifications. They both also have the 2 bolt compound hold down plate, which some heavy turners feel is a deficiency.

Back