Why I think 3d printing is important for the home shop.

xalky

Registered
Registered
I bought a cheap Chinese 3d printer kit a few months back. I put it together and started making stuff with it. For under $250, this thing has exceeded all my expectations and I'm learning a lot in the process. I've learned how to use fusion 360 to design 3d parts and export the designs to my 3d printer. There are some good strong filaments, and we can make parts that can serve a very useful function in a machine shop. I think guys like us are gonna be the ones to take this tech to a more practical and useful place. There are so many people out there with these machines that print trinkets and dust collectors, but I see this as a way to produce useful parts. Here's another practical part that I made with my cheap 3d printer. Watch the video and let me know what you think.

I have been thinking about getting a 3D printer. Is there a kit or out of the box version that you would recommend. While cost is a factor, it isn't the main factor. Quality/Value is most important. I don't mind a kit, but want something that is as good as quality as I can get for the money. I would rather not have to modify a lot of things off the start until I get to understand things better.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I tried to wade into the 3D-printer options and specs for months....there's just too many!

I finally gave that up and "bought my way in", which was probably the right thing for me.....slightly more funds than time right now.
We were printing some models from the included SD card within an hour of opening the box. (without installing any software)

My thread on getting started is here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/finally-made-the-jump-to-3d-printing.62834/#post-517849

I am not claiming to know much yet (I've had it for less than 3 weeks!), but maybe my story/perspective could help.

Please keep us informed about your thoughts and progress.
This kind of "collective knowledge" is what makes this site so valuable.

-brino

I highly suggest the folgertech ft5 "kit"
You learn about the mechanics and electronics as you build it which will help you down the line, and end up with a monster printer that can print up to 1 cubic foot

I highly suggest the folgertech ft5 "kit"

That is a neat looking machine. I've never heard of it so it wasn't on my radar when I bought one.
Thanks for posting that!
-brino

Last edited:
Ok, had to share one more. Wasn't necessarily about the printer I bought, but he does actually use it for this project. I had no idea you could make lithographs with a 3d printer. Check this out and watch until the end. Incredible.

The cr10s , it's that the one with dual z motors?

Back