Why Do My Threads Look So Rough?

Planeflyer21,
It was great to have you stop by and critique my "shop" using that term loosely. But more importantly thanks for taking the time to offer a little advice. One of my lessons learned is threading is an operation that can't be rushed, coupled with all of the advice you generously offered, I can make a few changes in how I do things and see better results. Now all I got to do is find time to put into practice what you recommended.:)
God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Planeflyer21,
It was great to have you stop by and critique my "shop" using that term loosely. But more importantly thanks for taking the time to offer a little advice. One of my lessons learned is threading is an operation that can't be rushed, coupled with all of the advice you generously offered, I can make a few changes in how I do things and see better results. Now all I got to do is find time to put into practice what you recommended.:)
God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Thanks, Jon! I enjoyed my excursion to your shop.

I'm already plotting ideas, er, suggestions on how to get your backgear lever to stay in place.

A quick temporary fix for the missing back gear detent is to get a piece of PVC pipe and slot it so it snap fits over the extended back gear rod to keep it extended.

PS. Looking at the first post it seems to me the part was bigger than the major diameter when the threading started so that the 60 deg tool turned the OD to a sharp point which the aluminum was too week to support.

A quick temporary fix for the missing back gear detent is to get a piece of PVC pipe and slot it so it snap fits over the extended back gear rod to keep it extended.

PS. Looking at the first post it seems to me the part was bigger than the major diameter when the threading started so that the 60 deg tool turned the OD to a sharp point which the aluminum was too week to support.

We talked about that. Jon stated he probably should have turned it down a bit first, as the piece was a stock 0.502" or 0.503".

PVC...pretty simple fix! I was thinking of making a Z-bar for the knob and affixing a neodymium magnet to the housing. Push it in, held in place.

As I have been inspecting the back gear drive on my Logan 1957, I noticed it really growls when ingaged. Like the root gear clearance is too deep. Is that a possibility or are they just loud? It is amazing to me that you expierenced guys can eyeball a picture and really give some very accurate advice and what I was doing on the original piece. Thanks again for helping out. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

I haven't got into threading yet but in reading I found a mix of 90% kerosene 10% light oil(they didn't say what light was). I had some 20 at hand so that is what I mixed. It really looked good milling. It was a great improvement over just kerosene which I thought was doing really good to start with. You can also take the smell out of the kerosene by putting some lime in the bottom of it and letting it set a few days. It has a little bit of a sweet smell.

Back