Why do I need a drill press?

I have work in shops that did not have a drill press I use the Bridgeport for drill press
Even in the shop I have today does not have a drill press. I just do not have the space for a drill press
The times you need a drill press if more than one person is working in the shop and you do not want to buy a mill for a few holes. [
Some time for a tall parts.
Other times when had other working for me then did not know any thing about a mill so drill press was safer to use and low cost.
Saving floor space over have a lot of mills

Dave

A friend who is a machinist insisted that I buy a floor standing model drill press for my garage shop. I have a Bridgeport, what is the compelling reason why I need to buy a drill press?

Thank you.

To put it another way, most Hobby machinists have the Drill Press before the Milling Machine. Once they have the Milling Machine the Drill Press takes a back seat. Mine came first and was used a lot, now with the Mill, not as much.

"Billy G"

I can set up a drill fixture in a drill press, drill 50-60 assemblies and still have the mill available. I really need a large one to do large holes, my little one only has a 1/4" chuck. Great for #53 drill bits, not so good for 1/2" holes.....Tim

The first stationary machine tool I ever bought was the green HF 16-speed floor stand model for $169 about 35 years ago. I still have that drill press and it is my "go to" machine when I need to put a hole in something quick.

I have 3 other drill presses that go from the little Craftsman bench top to a 3500# DoAll articulating drill press with pneumatic positioning, power down feed, and tapping.

They all serve a purpose and I wouldn't want to be without them. The Craftsman usually has a 1/8" drill in it and I use it mostly for putting screw or rivet holes in sheet aluminum. The walker Turner gets used when the HF Greenie is set up for a special job or other wise tied up. The HF Greeenie is pretty much my go to drill for anything 3/8" or less. The DoAll can punch a 1-1/2" hole in a 3" piece of steel without a pilot hole. It has power down feed and a built in tapping function. I use it a lot with hole saws in aluminum plate and for notching tubing.

I have a BP and very seldom use it for drilling holes unless I need to use the bolt hole circle function on the DRO.

I think a drill press belongs in every home shop.

004.JPG 002.JPG

And if you need to drill multiple small holes & countersink, one of these comes in pretty handy. ;)

20140921_202410.jpg

20140921_202410.jpg

20140921_202410.jpg

Come on guys. One can't have to many tools. Every machine shop should have at least 1 large floor model drill press.

I'd love a milling machine .. But at my age can I justify buying one??? :lmao:

I have a very very cheap first wave imported Chinese table top drill press that is over 33 year old.
It has a reasonable vice & six speeds , what I really find useful is the speed at which I can tilt the table to cut holes in at an angle on flat plate , bar , blocks etc . the vice clamps to the table very quickly ..I rarely drill a hole free hand or that is not dot punched these days .
There is only one mark on the table and two on the vice which were put there by my son when he was a 16 year old ( Now 33 )0 I chased the little sod round the farm for a good half hour with a bit of rope till I caught him when he said , "So what ...it's only a drill press. " ( evidently the seat of learning exercise works well for whenever we've spoken over the phone or he has come to visit us he usually says , "Any more holes in table dad ?"

I purchased a set of " Blacksmiths twist drills " , for those not familiar with they term , they are a set eight twist drills all over 1/2 " dia. up to 1 & 1/ 4 " that have turned down shanks so that they will fit into a half inch ( 13 mm ) chuck .

Now I own an old antique lathe , I've managed to score a few of the larger size drills at garage sales etc for friends and turned the shanks down myself

I'd love a milling machine .. But at my age can I justify buying one??? :lmao:

I have a very very cheap first wave imported Chinese table top drill press that is over 33 year old.
It has a reasonable vice but what I really find usefull is the speed at which I can tilt the table to out holes in at an angle of flat plate , bar , blocks etc .

I purchased a set of " Blacksmiths twist drills " , for those not familiar with they term they are a set eight twist drills all over 1/2 " dia up to 1 & 1/ 4 " that have turned down shanks so that they will fit into a half inch ( 13 mm ) chuck .

Now I own an old antique lathe , I've managed to score a few of the larger size drills at garage sales etc for friends and turned the shanks down myself

Age doesn't really matter about justifying buying a milling machine-- as much as-- if you have a need or desire to get one. they do cost more than a drill press but if you look around with the desire to have one--then one may come across your path for a song----many of us members are over 70 and still adding to our shops---you are not that old yet to work in your shop are you ?-----well milling machines are very fun and rewarding to have--just like drill presses-------Dave:))

The first stationary machine tool I ever bought was the green HF 16-speed floor stand model for $169 about 35 years ago.

Rmack,

My Central Machenery drill press with the smoked motor was the table version of your green 35 year old HF one. I bought it 30 years ago at the Farm and Family Center that was in Millville back then. I also bought the full height one like yours but sold it to a friend when I moved out of a shop we shared and didn't have a place to store it.

When the vibration started this spring I pulled the motor apart to find that the bearings were not sealed and the grease had dried out. One of the end cap bearing holders had cracked and the armature was badly deformed and was blue from overheating. If I would have pulled mine apart and relubed or replaced the bearings before this happened I may still be using it today.

Dont know now if you lubed your bearings but you may want to think about it.

Chris.

6e3d7f498dc074368c635cb796c73f43_zps903f4044.jpg

347b33fb96938058c469f685901fb6d4_zpsf41ba6d1.jpg
d4bd870df061afbfd6905c4f6462d82f_zpsbcdbe76a.jpg

The first drill press that I got about 35 years ago is a little 5 speed Foremost. It's HF quality and I paid nothing for it. One time I had to replace the strings and pinblock on a grand piano. After shaping and fitting the wood pinblock to the harp(cast iron frame), I had to drill some 220 holes that had to be canted at an angle about 10 degrees while the pinblock in the harp. I made a special canted base that was mounted to the original base which was turned 180 degrees so the bases faced back. Then I lowered the head on the column about 12" because the bit had to go about 4" below the bases. I was able to drill all 220 holes within specs. I now have a 10" 12 speed bench and a LMS mini mill. I still got that little bugger even though I don't use much. But it has served me well. Mark

Back