Why Did You Choose Your Username And Avatar?

Origin of my Gator Avatar:

I’ve been known on most sites as ‘Grumpy Gator’ since a trip to Florida with my kids and grandkids to watch the launch of my daughters first Mars lander, Phoenix. (She’s now working on her fourth “space ship”) . Anyway, while driving around the area, I saw an alligator sunning himself along the shore of a duckweed covered body of water, where I assumed the gator had just eaten lunch and was sunning himself to digest whatever it was, lots of ducks around. I loved the duckweed covering and decided that I had to get a picture of this guy. Got my camera ready and walked over to the general area about 12 feet away and shot a couple of pictures one of which has since become my avatar. Just as I was turning around, this guy lunged at me at umpteen miles an hour, I never expected they could move so far so fast when out of the water! I swear that he had almost taken a bite out of my leg, but maybe that was just the adrenaline talking. My 4 year old grandson witnessed the whole thing and thought that it was really really funny. I didn’t agree and let him know so, but he still couldn’t stop laughing at me. He then started calling me, previously his “Opa”, “Grumpy Gator”. So since August of ’07 I’ve born the title Grumpy Gator. He has since reverted to calling me Opa again.

When I signed up for this forum, I found to my consternation, a Grumpy Gator already existed in the guise of our global moderator/staff member/director grumpygator. Not only does he predate my use of the moniker he also lives in gator land Florida. I bow to his gatordom.

Note: we do have an alligator farm here in Mosca Colorado at an elevation of 7800 ft.
So here, I am forced to use the term Grumpy Old Guy/Man but I still use my same duckweed covered Avatar.

I have also been asked to explain my use of CH2CO moniker.

When I first started work at a research lab, I often had to initial various
written notes / messages etc. We didn’t have electronic methods back in those days. My initials are CHH. One of the microbiologists I was working just started calling me CH two and it stuck. Working as an analytical research chemist I obliged and used CH2 from then on. Then came the computer age and the need to have a name and password and all that stuff. CH2 wasn’t a long enough name for many sites. I just started to add to my little methylene radical by adding stuff. Here I use CH2CO which could be seen as 1-ketene or methyl carbonyl or carbomethane or ethanone or keto-ethylene or as IUPAC would call it ethenal……or just call me The grumpy old guy.

CHuck the grumpy old (gator) man

q20v = Quattro 20 Valve

Technically my second car, the first only lasted about 6 months, my 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v was a car that I owned for about 12 years and helped shape me into the person I am today. I bought the car in 1999 and it went to the junk yard in ~2011. I bought it in my last year of high school and I'm currently a Mech Eng in the defence industry. The amount I learned from that car was immense.

I've been using "q20v" since the early 2000's on all forums I join.

The avatar picture shows 4 Wright Screwdrivers I bought from a local tool / machinery surplus store, Cardon Tools near Perth, each were about $2.50 and made in the USA. Although I still buy overseas tools when I'm in a pickle (my current financial situation restricts me on the bigger tools) I'm a firm believer in supporting Canadian / US suppliers.

Barry

It is a moniker I was gifted when I continually surprised some of the my shop when we were all together at squadron functions. Everyone overheard it and that was it. I've used it on the old BBS' and still use it on the forums.

Its a scene shot of "The Chin" B movie actor extraordinaire o_O Bruce Campbell, From Army of Darkness. the Character "Ash" just fabricated a new hand for himself.

Last edited:
I used Dabbler, because I'm really very strongly ADHD so I tend to 'dabble' in hobbies. I've been doing machining, on and off for 40 years now, so it's my most durable hobby.... The rest of the hobbies are too numerous to list!

Username is from my first atlas 10" lathe. Avitar is soon to be under construction. Forgot what it is now.
Jack

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have not decided yet about a picture or avatar yet but my user name is Rick O'Shay as in "ricochet", get it, ha ha. I also go by roert which is robert without the b. "roert" is not supposed to be funny just foreign sounding and seems unique.

Back in the 60's I inherited the name from a friend (deceased before his time)
who never got to start it himself. Seemed to describe the business Mary and
I started to follow our ideals----- Stars in eyes----BLJHB.

My avatar is the best vehicle I ever owned, M35A2 truck. Had some real good times in it before a drunk (not me) wrecked it.
And my name is pretty much how people keep telling me how my mind seems to work,,, or not as the case may be.

Back