Why Did You Choose Your Username And Avatar?

There were several Michael's among my friends and family. It was confusing sometimes. Plus I always liked how native people used unique and colourful names. Tozguy is a statement that I am a fan of TOZ rifles. When and where my legal name is important it is available. Mike

Core Oil, It comes from when I was an apprentice in a small foundry sixty one years ago I worked with an old tradesman and we made sand cores for the moulders, And the linseed based oil we used to make the coresand had a nice sweet smell.

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Characters_Theodore.jpg

My screen name is the state I live in...
And my choice with experimental aviation... gyro-copters.
Here is a link to our local group:
http://www.peachstaterotorcraft.org/

Here is a link to a larger picture of the avatar...
https://www.google.com/search?q=I+have+no+idea+what+i'm+doing,+however+my+book+says+you+are+doing+it+wrong&tbm=isch&imgil=t5Fq-3k0O0SeGM%3A%3BiKL3uJB3EZj_9M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.funnycaptions.com%252Fimg%252F105099%252Fi-have-no-idea-how-to-do-your-job-but-my-book-says-youre-doing-it-wrong%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=t5Fq-3k0O0SeGM%3A%2CiKL3uJB3EZj_9M%2C_&usg=__C42jWGYWLTVAm_P_GEKr54cEfws=&biw=1352&bih=934&dpr=1.25&ved=0ahUKEwj_keTpxZLSAhUIxFQKHRUqBmYQyjcIMA&ei=64SkWL_wOIiI0wKV1JiwBg#imgrc=t5Fq-3k0O0SeGM:

There is a story behind that: My hobby has always been fixing things... and being creative doing it...
When I was growing up, I could fix almost anything... and folks would watch me and shake their heads...
UNTIL, they saw it working... sometimes better than before it was broken.
Hence the reference to the book...
Being a product of the '60's rebellion generation... satire is a part of my life... grin

Good thread Nels, fun reading!

I just used the name my mamma gave me for my user name.

My real business is apple grower, so that's the avatar

Mine is a nickname I earned shooting trap , in Maryland many years ago a few buddies and I traveled to many registered trap shoots. I use to win quite often in most of the shoots . One time in Maryland the man in charged noticed I was shooting the Winchester silver handicap shells. After I won the shoot offs he announced me as Silverbullet. After that of course it took. So I'm now Silverbullet. My avatar is the day our grand daughter was born . My first time holding her in her mommy's hospital room..

My user name comes from me being road kill on the information highway. I'm not a skilled, more like barely literate computer person. No computers or even electronic read outs on my machines, I do use a digital caliper though, much better than using bifocals to read a Vernier scale.

Back