Why a MT3 collet holder?

358scott

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been considering a MT3-ER32 collet holder and collets. I have been on line and it looks like most collets have considerably more runout than the spindle. Why would I buy one when I can dial in a 4 Jaw to the spindle runout?
Scott

speed of operations
A collet works in less than a second, dialing in a 4j could take several minutes

Collets are fast, and I don't know how to chuck a 1/4" diameter part in a 4-jaw.

TIR on collets is a funny thing. Technique in tightening has a lot to do with it, at least with imported stuff. I use ER32 a lot, and found that bearing nuts are a big help.

Most inexpensive collets have a run out of .0002" to .0006". While a standard 3 jaw scroll chuck usually has .001" to .003" run out. If doing work that requires +/- .005" or less run out the collet is more accurate than the scroll chuck and less time consuming than the independent 4 jaw. If you're willing to spend $80.00 or more a collet you can get Hardinge Precision collets with less than .00005" run out. In most cases they wouldn't be worth the money since spindle run out is usually around .0003"

Fit it in your lathe tail stock to grip taps.

Another thing to consider: If you were going to mount collets to your lathe spindle, it would be more useful to get a collet chuck that allows long
stock to pass thru the spindle, rather than a MT shank to ER chuck. Less wasteful of material when making multiple parts

Not sure if you have a mill but I have seen folks use a square ER32 collet block in a 4-jaw.
Not a speedy setup but if don’t need it often it can work well.

Back