Wholesale Tools 11x26 Lathe Reverse Tumbler Modification

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
Today I completed my reverse tumbler modification on my 11 x 26 Wholesale Tools lathe. This mod will also fit the Grizzly g0602 10 x 22 lathe.
It has bugged me since i purchase the lathe that there was not a neutral position or the possibility of turning left hand threads. After doing research online I found out that the gears I needed were m1.5 module and 20 degree pressure angle these also were the same gears used in a Briggs and Statton side shaft 5hp engine ( Thanks to a really good write up at Projectsinmetal.com by Norman Leonard. http://www.projectsinmetal.com/forum/general-discussion/reverse-for-g0602/ )
My design is different but the article really helped, I purchased 4 new gears for $20 and a tube ( 10 ) of 6000-2rs bearings for $10 on ebay. the Locking handle is off a 9x20 lathe everything else I made here in my shop.
Steve

DSCF1737.JPG DSCF1738.JPG DSCF1739.JPG DSCF1740.JPG DSCF1741.JPG DSCF1742.JPG DSCF1743.JPG DSCF1744.JPG DSCF1745.JPG DSCF1747.JPG DSCF1748.JPG DSCF1749.JPG DSCF1751.JPG DSCF1752.JPG DSCF1753.JPG DSCF1754.JPG DSCF1755.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Wholesale Tools 11x28 Reverse Tumbler Modification

Great modification, hard to believe it wouldn't come as standard on any lathe.

Steve,

A great project! I did the same mod to my G0602 a year ago. One caution regarding the B & S gears; when I pulled a set out, I found that they are not metric and the pitch, although close, is not the same. If used with the lathe, there would be excessive wear. Best to just buy the proper gears. I got mine from sdp-si.com. I used Delrin gears for my project, along with bronze bushings on 303 stainless shafting.

I brought my shift lever out the front rather than the top but otherwise very similar to your setup. I have SolidWorks models for the parts should anyone be interested.

Bob
Lathe Gears.JPG

Lathe Gears.JPG

thanks Bob
I'll see how it goes, they run really quiet
I did locate a full set of 8 hss involute gear cutters for $79 (m1.5 20 degree) and I have 6 sheets of 1/2" thick 3' x 2' Delrin, I'm going to probably make a spare set of all the plastic gears and replace the Briggs gears if it becomes an issue. It is a good excuse to buy more tools... :makingdecision:
Steve

OK Steve,

I've never cut a gear myself. It would be interesting to try. I have a Tormach PCNC770 with the rotary table so it should be a piece of cake in Delrin. I will be posting a project for a work stop for the headstock soon. I've used one for years and its really helpful for repetitive work and for machine small parts to precise lengths. You can see the 1-1/8 x 18 threads cut in the spindle bore.

Have you seen anyone install a dro on the G0602 or your lathe? I mounted an i-Gaging dro on the tailstock but have not found a good solution for a cross feed dro. I had seen one where the scale extends past the back way but the backsplash would prevent using that scheme.

Bob

Bob
you can make your rotary table into a 4th axis and your all set for gear making with your Tormach.
I have tried dro's like the i-gauge on my my 9x20 lathe and they just would not stand up to the oil and swarf. After seeing the price of a real dro that would last I opted to convert my 9x20 lathe to cnc and i purchased this lathe for one offs and quick items. for the small parts i have a 5c collet chuck with a nice set of stops that fits both lathes.
Steve

Bob
you can make your rotary table into a 4th axis and your all set for gear making with your Tormach.
I have tried dro's like the i-gauge on my my 9x20 lathe and they just would not stand up to the oil and swarf. After seeing the price of a real dro that would last I opted to convert my 9x20 lathe to cnc and i purchased this lathe for one offs and quick items. for the small parts i have a 5c collet chuck with a nice set of stops that fits both lathes.
Steve

Thanks Steve,

Good info on the i Gaging dro durability. I happened to purchase their 6" remote scale some years ago out of curiosity so it was a good solution for the tailstock which is fairly well out of the way of swarf and fluids. It's not ideal but it is an improvement over the metric dial on the tailstock. I share your concern over the vulnerability of a scale mounted on the cross slide. I have glass scales on my old mill drill and they work fine. They are just too big for convenient cross slide mounting.

The Tormach rotary table is set up as a 4th axis. I like the idea of a CNC lathe but it is more work than I am prepared to do right now. For small pieces, I can use the Tormach as a vertical lathe, limited by the diameter that I can chuck and the z axis travel. I use the oem tool holder from the G0602 clamped in the machine vise. For larger pieces I can use the 4th axis.

I like the idea of a 5C collet system. It's nice to be able to grip around the full circumference. For very small pieces (under 1/2" d.), I can use the Tormach tooling system ER20 collet system but it would be nice to increase that to the 1- 1'8" 5C capacity.

Bob

Back