Who would bore out the Spindle taper?

geckocycles

Active User
Registered
Well after looking for so long and getting the #11B&S to MT2 sleeve I went to install it and look what I found. I am kicking myself in the head for not looking at the inside earlier. Live and learn. just never expected anyone would do such a thing.
Once again back to the main rule of life. ASSUME NOTHING! This was something that I didn't expect to assume though.
I can't afford this crap on my new machine.

So if anyone wants these sleeves and I think is a #11 taper solid bar let me know. $25 for both plus flat rate shipping.

leblond%20taper61.JPG 11B&S%20sleeves64.JPG 11B&SMT2%20sleeve.JPG

If you have a taper attachment on your lathe you could sleeve the spindle and re-bore the taper. Make the sleeve a shrink fit and heat up the spindle to install it, then bore the taper.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm

Am I getting this right. Someone bored your spindle ror some reason?
Well, it is what it is now. I would think depend on your skills you should be able make your own plug, and what ever taper you need. I know finding this out later really sucks. I would just step back, take a deep breath, and you will figure a way around this problem. It can be done, just takes some work.

Paul

What Tom & Paul said +1, lathe is a machine that can reproduce it self:biggrin:

I don't have a taper attachment for this lathe but the one on my neighbors may fit mine. Food for though. I am looking for a new spindle for it too and will talk to my neighbor and maybe trade him for his which was the original plan when I got this 54" one. He will never do anything that needs closer measurements that you can't use a tape measure on. I just wanted the longer bed just in case I want to turn my axles which I do want to do at some point. I could always borrow the longer one if needed as long as I get it tooled up for his needs.

that is wierd, i wonder if someone did it accidentally while boring out a part? seems unlikely, but....who knows?

if it turns fine i`m not sure i would worry about it- looks like an expensive spindle. i don`t know much about non-threaded spindles.
what machine is this? i could keep an eye out for one being parted or scrapped.

That is possible I guess but what a brain fart twice. THere are two bores as seen in the picts, The deepest one is 1.125"

I have 2 leads on a spindle. One on EBay without much info other than a 15 LeBlond and one from a ServoShift !% which I don't think will work. Waiting for SN and or Part numbers on both so I can ask Leblond if one will work. I know the ServoShift is a L0 mount which would require the purchase of new chucks or I could use the ones from the other Leblond next door.
I have a LeBlond lathe 15" X 54" S/N 2C-618 (1956 model lathe)
Headstock Spindle (LOO Spindle mount) P/N: B9C81S
http://www.lathes.co.uk/regal/page5.html

img42.jpg

I may just let it go and forget trying to use the ID for anything. Get a L00 mount collet system. I saw on Plaza Machine he has a L00 mount lathe dog. Not sure what that is. I asked him but he has yet to answer that question. He has answered others but not this one for some reason as well as the listing for a L00 Jacobs. He did answer back on the 8"4j chuck and the spindle a couple of times.

Last edited:
I can see it happening too. 1.12 deep twice is a bit harder to see happening unless maybe the feed lever got jammed. I have had machines that I couldn't move the lever to disengage it in time before. Belt drive ones though so not much happened. Belt just slipped. This wouldn't happen with this guy and I am not sure even if the brake worked well would stop it. I cut my teeth on a much larger LeBlond that had a foot brake and it would flat stop the machine no matter what.
I am not perfect for sure and have done my fair share of mistakes in my learning curve. It is just unfortunate that I didn't see the issues with this before I bought it.
I can live with it for what I will expect to do with this machine. Just getting it is saving me more than 10 hrs to make just one of my parts I was wanting to produce.

Back