Who majes a good 6" independant 4 jaw chuck?

Ome,

Are you absolutely sure the Cushman won't require some fitting? In all honesty, I've never heard of a "ready to go" chuck.

Anyhow, if it serves your needs and desires -it makes no difference where it comes from! (but if you ever decide to sell it, let me know)...

Ray

Hi Ray,

I will let you know once i get it in about a month or so.
I really prefer steel for the plates as opposed to cast iron..

Thanks,
Jon

The main reason for threaded cast iron or "semi-steel" back plate over steel is. The cast iron is less likely to gauld the threads as a steel one could do.

I do have a couple made of steel, but when I use them I apply a film of "Never Seize" on the threads before installing. So far it has worked fine.

That seems pretty reasonable. I also tend to think (but don't have positive proof) that decent quality steel has less density variation than cast iron and therefore, it balances better. I've made some pulleys out of both steel and cast iron and it seems the cast iron usually needs more balancing work before they go out the door. -Just my observation and probably not enough "data points" to say for sure.

Ray

The main reason for threaded cast iron or "semi-steel" back plate over steel is. The cast iron is less likely to gauld the threads as a steel one could do.

I do have a couple made of steel, but when I use them I apply a film of "Never Seize" on the threads before installing. So far it has worked fine.

Back