Who Can Identify This Tool ?? ( I Know What It Is )

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
It's close to 100 years old , most likely hand made by my uncles dad , and yes ................it is shaped like a woman's leg . I will find out who the real old-timers here I bet !!

The square is a 6 incher used for size reference .

IMG_6113.JPG IMG_6114.JPG

No idea but I'm thinking a taper drift with a couple of convenient gauges attached for quick reference.

looks like a lady-leg caliper to me...

-frank

Francist should win, that's what it is. I"m not sure if it's half the caliper or not. Should have both legs.

I bow to those more knowledgeable. Mia culpa.

Last edited:
You are ALL........

INCORRECT ! Keep trying !!!!

I will add that there is a hole thru that small pin and that leg is 1/4" thick .

Francist should win, that's what it is. I"m not sure if it's half the caliper or not. Should have both legs.

Now Tom , it's nothing to get " wound up " over . LOL

You guys! I've been scratching my head over this one for so long, that I'm loosing all my hair. Oh wait, I'm bald. ;)
And then you come up with lady leg calipers and I chuckled a little. Such a silly idea.
Then you actually come up with a Lady Leg Caliper web site that sells lady leg calipers? Methinks someones been watching too many reruns of "The Christmas Story"
Now you tell us that lady legs is wrong.
But seriously, I'm sure that somewhere in the distant past I've seen something akin to this, but the old neurons aren't firing on all cylinders anymore.
A spring winder? A can opener? A bottle opener?.......... .... .. .

CHuck the grumpy old guy

You win the OLD FART award of the day Chuck ! It IS a spring winder .

Some 25 years ago I took the old box in that I inherited from my uncle whom inherited from his dad into work and started going thru it . I was the youngster of the group , most of them being in their 60s . One of the tool makers grabbed this thing and wound a spring . WTH ? So I sit here today , not for the life of me , can I figure out how this thing works . I can't remember what I did an hour ago less 25 years ago !?

I guess I need the help of a ninety something tool and die maker ???

Ya know, I had no idea what it was until I was starting to type my name in and one of those neural synapses connected in my little old bald head, and BAM!
I thought its A Lady Leg Spring Winder! I knew that I'd seen one somewhere in the distant past and maybe even used one an eon or two agoo_O?

Whats the prize? Whats the prize?

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Back