Whipp 16inch Shaper Awakens

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some of you may recall a shaper which mystically appeared on my trailer last summer. Got her home and she didn't work so good. The 5/8inch square thread adjustment screw that controlled stroke of the scotch yoke was stripped and the inside threads were also bunged.

Nothing against anyone who is doing restoration. However, I'm into function and conservation. Last month I turned some acme and V threads and a woodruff slot. And mounted her up last week. My heart hit the floor when I turned her by hand and the same thing happened with my new assembly. Close inspection turned up a threaded hole in the bull gear which if a properly sized and fitted bolt is inserted acts as a limiting pin which prevents the adjustment screw from falling out. Cleaned out the hole, inserted a pin, cleaned up my new assembly.

Well the short video tells the story. She is awake!
We hope to have a summer get together here on July 18th.
It's my hope that if there is interest in the group, someone, or several of the attendees have experience with a shaper, and show the rest of us how to shaper set-up, tool grinding and we can make the first chips for this cute little Whipp in many decades.

Note, if all goes well I'll be getting a small 1890s HC Pease metal planer in August. I'll put this cute little Whipp up for sale at that time.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• IMG_3773.zip
    3 MB · Views: 63
Very cool man. A job well done! I've always wanted to have a shaper. I have no room for a shaper. I have no need for a shaper, but shapers are so fun
to watch. Good video. Congrats!

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Daryl,

That's Great!

Congratulations on restoring life to an old machine.
I respect that!

Any idea how old it is?

-brino

Documentation on the Whipp Co is sparse.
Supposedly in business from 1925-1930.
There are some references to Whipp, and a possible relationship to Monarch Lathes on other forums.
Regardless, the warranty ran must have ran out, customer service wouldn't even answer my emails!

Daryl
MN

Back