Which vise should I consider

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
A tilt and/or a swivel base will take up quite a bit of your Z travel. In all my years of machining, I've gotten by without either, although there have been a few parts that probably would have been simpler to do with a setup like that. We talked about compound angles in the tangential tool holder, and a swivel and tilt vise would make those much easier. They just take up too much room on a small machine for my taste.

Well, if brief, the tangential tool holder has a groove cut in it that inclines in two planes. It can be done with some fancy fixturing/clamping, but a tilt vise simplifies it.

If you still would have that much Z room, there shouldn't be a problem very often, and you would have the advantage of that type of vise.

Most angle milling can be done with chamfering mills of it is an edge break or something like that. Larger surfaces require other approaches, like removing the keys from the vise base and clamping it to the table at the desired angle. Some parts can be inclined while in the vise by using angle blocks.

One distinct advantage to the tilt/swivel setup is on drilling and boring operations where you need a strong grip on the piece. If you have a swivel head, that's easy with a conventional vise or using the table and clamps. Since you don't, then it may be a great way to go.

I have a couple of swivel bases that came with the vises, but I took them off.

Given that choice, I'd go for the tilt vise, because you can always spin a vise around and clamp it anywhere. It's just easier with the graduations right on the swivel instead of sweeping in the vise at the desired angle. But, depending on what you are making, you may never need to do that.

If this is a manual mill, then a swivel vise can sometimes be useful, but on a CNC machine, it's not. If you are really good with both hands, you can cut an angle without a swivel vise.

For an 8 X 28 a 4 inch should be adequate. I don't have one to part with, but you shouldn't have any trouble locating one.

Of course, if a larger vise came up for the right price, jump on it. Obviously, you won't need an 8" vise, so don't get carried away.

I don't know anything about Shars equipment.

I have a 4" Shars and am very satisfied with it so far,seems to be nice and tight and constructed pretty good.

I'd go with a 4" or 6" Kurt vise. If that is too pricey, go with a clone. A Kurt type vise will handle 90% of your mill clamping needs. It is just the best design out there today. I very seldom use the swivel bases, but there are times when they do come in handy.

Randy

Tony Wells link=topic=3128.msg22333#msg22333 date=1313562843 said:
For an 8 X 28 a 4 inch should be adequate.
Turbo, I agree with Tony. Your table is about the same size as mine and my 4 inch vice has done everything I have asked of it. I also have a brand new 6" vice still sitting in the box that I bought at the same time. I've never had a need to use it - yet. ::)

I don't have a swivel base or a tilt vice, but I do have a set of small angle plates that get the job done for me using the regular vice.
Just another option. :D

4 inch vice / 8 inch table:
Fits pretty good. ;)

th_P8040085.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The swivel and tilt vises bend to and fro quite noticeably when you are taking a cut. Get the one that has the THICKEST swivel base you can find. I have used Asian vises for years before I got my Kurt. The trouble with many of them is that their swivel bases are just not thick enough. You can see them pulling up away from the table when under strain.

Some are harder than that, and it's pretty tough to remachine them. Most would be surface ground.

Back