Which type of snap-ring pliers do I need?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys!

I need to get some snap ring pliers to work on machines with retaining rings.

I have been looking at some used Snap-on pliers, but I understand there are several different TYPES of pliers, and I have no idea which ones I need for general machine work.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

Nelson

Buy GOOD ones! I have had the multiple tip type and the fixed version. I had switched to the fixed version and bought the sizes that I need for the machines at work. One inside pliers straight in and one outside pliers straight as well. They are for 2 1/2" snap rings therefore they are over 8" long but they work.
At home I had the multiple tip ones as well but they can handle SMALL rings IF the screws holding the tips are TIGHT! Nothing like having the ring being held by the pliers and the tip lets it go. And you know where it lands - in the worst, dirtyest, unreachable place in the shop! ::)
That is why they tend to be called Jesus clips.

That's one tool to NOT buy from Harbor Freight. Buy the best you can afford. Nothing worse than having a tool failure on a tool for which there is no substitute. SnapOn/Bluepoint make good tools, but if you go to a power transmission supplier, you can get an industrial grade plier that is as good and usually cheaper.

KD tools makes probably the most ubiquitous snap ring plier set with miltiple tips, and they are fine for smaller rings. Plus you can grind a special if needed without ruining a whole plier.

Think also about shops that service auto and truck transmissions. They use larger rings, and have larger pliers.

Go to the McMaster-Carr site type in 5391A91 they are the replaceable tip type and the hole for the tips is broached with a hex they don't slip, set has 3 different plier sizes well worth the money. I bought mine at the last shop I worked at the other mechanics always wanted to borrow mine said NO get your own they did, and after they got theres they said they knew why I didn't want to loan them out.

Back