Which Tools To Make, Which Tools To Buy?

intjonmiller

Registered
Registered
Is there any consensus as to which common tools to make versus which to buy? Has anyone made a list of such? I didn't see anything quite like this by searching (just specific tool discussions; I'm talking more generally).

I can find just about anything by searching for individual tools, but I'm curious about the ones that very specifically don't make sense to make yourself (like a lathe, for instance, as impressive as David Gingery's work is), and the ones that just don't make sense to buy (whether because it needs to be customized anyway or because it's so cheap and easy to make your own, etc.). One example is a spin indexer. You would be hard pressed to make something more accurate or cost effective than a $50-60 spin indexer, nevermind the time it would take. If you just really want to make one (or a lathe, for that matter) that's another consideration entirely. I'm just looking at things from a practical standpoint.

What do you think? Right now I'm specifically working with a lathe and a surface grinder, but any tools and tooling for the home shop is open for discussion.

If I can buy something cheaper and more accurate than I can make then I buy it. A very accurate D1-4 ER-40 collet chuck, for example. If I can buy something but it isn't as good as I need or can make then I make it. A good straddle knurler is one of these. If I need something that doesn't exist for my specific application then I make it, like a tool height gauge for my specific lathe or a GH Thomas milling T-square or a rear-mounted parting tool post.

Sometimes your equipment may dictate what is available to you. I started with Sherline equipment and had to make tools that Sherline did not offer. Now that I have larger machines the options are much better and I find I buy more things nowadays but I still make stuff for them if the need arises.

I can tell you one thing. Making a tool isn't the key benefit; its the skills acquired and lessons learned that provide the ultimate value. These skills are used in everything you do after that so when its a question of making something or buying something I will usually opt to make it.

I can tell you one thing. Making a tool isn't the key benefit; its the skills acquired and lessons learned that provide the ultimate value. These skills are used in everything you do after that so when its a question of making something or buying something I will usually opt to make it.
Absolutely. That and budget constraints are the main reasons I'm asking. I want to make stuff immediately, but I have neither the skills nor the tools to make what I have in mind long-term, so I'm wanting to make tools I don't have and develop skills as I fill the toolbox. I can find plans (or at least examples) for making just about anything, but figuring out which really make sense to do myself is another matter. I was looking at making a spin indexer, for instance, until I saw how cheap and decent the imports are.

Do you have the equipment you need to do a good job. Hardening, grinding etc. It's not always just turning and milling. If you have what you need, then go for it. It's more the adventure than the tool itself. :cool 2:

LOL!!! You ask this question on a site that’s infested with tool junkies (I’m no different!). It’s a terrible disease with no cure. It will take up every square inch of open floor space in the garage and maybe other parts of the house too. The spouse will roll the eyes so much they will look like a slot machine. You worry about the floor caving in, even if you are on concrete. You dream 24/7 about how you could sneak in a garage addition without anybody noticing. You had a good mental inventory of all your toys but you keep adding so much to the list every week, your brain tilted…Dave.

I bought my first lathe to make a bearing press to fit new wheel bearings on my car, a very simple custom tool that was masivly over priced.

I've made quite a lot of tee nut's everything seems to have a diferent size, and a few toe clamps.

Made a bearing pusher for a size i didn't have already e other day.

I have bought a casting kit for a vice and am working on it ocasionaly when i'm frustraited with other projects (it has instructions and everything :) ) luckily i already have a vice so it is a back burner kind of project.

Tool holders for the lathe and stuff like tat too I guess.

Stuart

I tend to purchase items which I can repair and use, or repair and sell.
A broken or damaged part really destroys the value of an item.
If the OEM part is available, it is just a matter of tracking it down, installing it and calling it refurbished.
It not available, then making it is fun, albeit sometimes challenging, especially if you have no idea what the OEM looks like.
Consider the tolerances you are able to consistently hold?
Will the part/machine you make likely meet the specs?
Or, perhaps you want the challenge and have the time.
Seems like my ability to hold tolerance improves a nudge with every pound of precision scrap I manufacture (this afternoons lesson was: don't buy cheap 6x32 taps).

Daryl
MN

Back