Which Set Of Chucking Reamers?

Why a "set"? I have never bought a set of any tooling in my life, I only buy the tool needed for the job at hand, over time, in my case 30+ years, you will have acquired a "set" of virtually every common tool that you may need. Also many that you will not ever use again, for instance I have a .5002 Vermont Gauge gauge pin in a nicely padded small plastic pill box that I bought 16 years ago, haven't used it since that particular job, should I have bought a "set" of pins on either side of that dimension?

You may buy a set of reamers incremented in 16 ths .001 over and .001 under, lets say 16 tools from .061 to .501, inevitably the next drawing you receive or part that you want to make requires a .254 hole, buy that. Over time you will have 50+ reamers not including the original 16 that you began with (and only ever used 5 of them), buy them as needed if available in your location, I live in a Metropolitan area so this is easy for me, maybe not so much for you.

As a practical consideration, in the time that you have been doing this sort of thing how often have you had to make a hole that requires -.001/+.001 accuracy, (and someone other than yourself is going to inspect it) and do you have the ability to measure such a feature, if not, you will then need about 30 gauge pins Due to the process used and the accuracy of the tool do not expect that a chucking reamer will do what you want.

+1!

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. There's a lot of food for thought here.

Back