Which oil is right for bronze spindle bearings of an old lathe

skipd1

Registered
Registered
I have been using Velocite #6 on the bronze spindle bearings of my 1930 Model O series heavy 9. Should I be using the heavier #10. I have had no problems with #6, but I have noticed it is quite thin and does run thru the lathe headstock rather quickly, but it's not that bad! Never had even warm bearing temps with #6. Brass oilers lubricate the spindle bearings.
6.jpg

Regards.
Skipd1

6.jpg

6.jpg

What you're using sounds fine, if it were running much faster (e.g. 2000RPM) you would be best with a low-viscosity hydraulic oil - the spec' for my (1950's, plain bearing but with pumped oil to them) high-speed spindle which runs to 2K states ISO 5 hydraulic oil - so thin it's hard to get hold of in smaller than 5-gallon drums!

Dave H. (the other one)

I have been using Velocite #6 on the bronze spindle bearings of my 1930 Model O series heavy 9. Should I be using the heavier #10. I have had no problems with #6, but I have noticed it is quite thin and does run thru the lathe headstock rather quickly, but it's not that bad! Never had even warm bearing temps with #6. Brass oilers lubricate the spindle bearings.
6.jpg

Regards.
Skipd1

While #6 may work and you have no heating problems it is to thin and goes thru the lathe to fast. The proper oil for the bearing shells on the South Bend is the Velocite #10.

Here, this is from a South Bend bulletin on the wswells website.

SBL_lube_oil_specs.jpg

SBL_lube_oil_specs.jpg

6.jpg

6.jpg

Critically keep an eye on bearing temperature, if they're cool, you'e doin ok.
Best Regards
Rick

I purchased #6 as well as McGruff, from a website that sold it as spindle oil for lathe. My question is, how do you "keep an eye on bearing temperature?" Do you touch it, use a thermal measuring device, wait for smoke? Sorry for asking a beginner question, which might be old hat to you fellows.

I have to say that is one clean and well painted machine. Looks too nice almost to use. Nahhh, make chips and repaint later if needed.
Bob

I purchased #6 as well as McGruff, from a website that sold it as spindle oil for lathe. My question is, how do you "keep an eye on bearing temperature?" Do you touch it, use a thermal measuring device, wait for smoke? Sorry for asking a beginner question, which might be old hat to you fellows.

The easiest way is by touching the headstock just over the bearing area. If it gets hotter than your body by say 10-12* I would stop and let it cool down.
I don't know why that guy is selling oil that thin, it was never recommended for the lathes by South Bend. I posted what weight oil was recommended by south Bend. The #6 oil doesn't even fall in the old conversion chart. I tried it in mine and it went thru it very fast compared to the right stuff.

I'm using the #10 on my '39 SB but it still goes way too fast. I'm planning to add some drip-oilers to take care of the issue with mine.

-Ron

Back