Which of these inserts would be best for turning?

shooter123456

Registered
Registered
I recently bought a lot of carbide inserts from ebay, and I want to make tool holders for them to use on my lathe.

The lathe is a PM1030V and I turn aluminum, 303 stainless, O1, and 4140 most often. I want to make the tool holders as a machining exercise and I find I learn the most by trying to make something and figuring out how to make it work better. I fully understand that these inserts may not be the best for turning or ideal for my machine, but I got 41 of them for $26 so I don't think I could learn cheaper with import inserts direct from China.

Here is a picture of the inserts:
OlAS12J.jpg

Here is the info I can gather on them and its accurate to the best of my knowledge
Make------------------------------Model---------------------------Quantity
Iscar-------------------------------QDMT 1205 PDTN-HQ-----7
American National Carbide--SPGH 433 Grd C5------------5
Iscar-------------------------------SDMT1606PDRHQM-------5
Iscar-------------------------------LNAR 1106 PN-N-P---------3
Sandvik---------------------------R390-11 T3 04E-PL---------4
Sandvik---------------------------R390-11 T3 08M-PM-------3
Kannametal----------------------SNGA432T0420-------------5
Ingersoll--------------------------CDE322R05------------------5
Iscar-------------------------------OECR 060405AER-P-------4

The only two in your picture that are sutiable for turning is the second one to the left in the top row and the one just below it. All the other ones are milling inserts. I'd be interested in the insert in the top row, first one on the left, if you decide to sell any of them.
Ken

Doesn't look like your list is in order with the pics but doesn't matter....

Starting from the top, L to R, 1-5 and on bottom L to R 6-10:

Only one of those insert shapes is best for lathe turning which would be #6. The C style 80° insert is very common for turning. But I've never seen one that looks like that with no chipbreaker. CCMT PCD inserts kind of look like that but that one doesn't look it has a PCD tip. I looked up CDE & it appears to be a proprietary insert for milling which is uncommonly used these days. I can't tell which side is the cutting edge but it looks to be a LH cut only if using for turning.

The rest are milling inserts but if you are making your own holders you can make the holders to orientate the inserts to be used for turning.

The square inserts are used for both milling & turning. #2 looks like it could be a turning insert. 1, 8, & 9 look like face mill inserts. I use square inserts for external chamfering. They'll do external turning in the 45° orientation but wouldn't be able to turn to a shoulder. But if you make the holder right you can use for facing, OD, & chamering like a SSSCR holder. The ones you have look like they have a large nose radius on them though so you probably won't be able to make deep cuts with your lathe. #8 looks like a negative style insert & looks to be the only one that doesn't use a screw to hold down to the holder. But that doesn't mean you can't when making a holder.

3, 4, 5 are milling specific inserts. Not sure how OECR (#3) would work for turning but you can try. The APKT/APMT inserts (4, 5) again are milling inserts but you can turn with them. Check out Randy Richard on YT. He's made turning holders for these cause he has a lot of them.

And #10, the hourglass shaped one, I have no idea what that one is for. I've personally never seen an insert like so I'm just assuming it's for some type of milling cutter.

As for the grade of carbide & their coatings on what metals they're best used for, you'll have to look that up. But I wouldn't worry too much as you can't do anything about it, you have what you have. Just use them until they're done for.

The top row right most two look like something that fits a mill tool holder we have so we may be interested in those.

Making holders will be a challenge as the fit needs to be perfect.

Used machine dealers sometimes have outdated holders for a song.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Only one of those insert shapes is best for lathe turning which would be #6. The C style 80° insert is very common for turning. But I've never seen one that looks like that with no chipbreaker. ......snip........
Will,
That's a milling insert, not a turning insert. Look real closely at the big edge radius that makes it a milling insert. Most of those listed are either Ingersoll or Iscar milling inserts, most interchange with each other.
Ken

Will,
That's a milling insert, not a turning insert. Look real closely at the big edge radius that makes it a milling insert. Most of those listed are either Ingersoll or Iscar milling inserts, most interchange with each other.
Ken

Ken, yes I'm aware. I mentioned that I was talking about the shape of the insert since the OP wanted to know which might be possible to be used for turning. I also stated my findings on what that insert is in the same paragraph you quoted.

To add, I'm not familiar with that insert. I posted that it might be able to be used as LH cutting. But since you mentioned the large radius, I'm now assuming that the top surface is not the cutting edge.

Yeah, that insert cuts on edge. That particular one is used on a face mill, so when it cuts, it will leave a large corner radius. At first, it does look like a "C" style insert for turning, agree with you there.

Thanks Ken for clarifying!

Back