Which NEW mill should I buy?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
A friend is looking to buy a new mill and is considering a few new milling machines, among them the Grizzly G0463/Sieg X3, Rong Fu, and Precision Matthews PM-45M. He has enough space for a Bridgeport clone. He is using it for non-production, home shop use on brass, aluminum and steels no more than two feet in length.

Which mill/mills would you recommend and, more importantly, why?

Thanks,

Nelson

Nelson, I have one of the Precision Matthews PM-45M mills with the power downfeed and power feed on the X axis. It was biggest I could fit in my shop. I looked at some of the smaller ones to save space but, in the end decided bigger/heavier was better. I have been pleased with it and the after sale service of Matt at Quality Machines.
Bobby

The only mills I've used have been older Bridgeports and clones, none of which were particularly well adjusted, so I guess I'd say my experience is limited at best. That said, I bought a new Sharp LMV, and it's been a great tool to use - tight, solid, reliable. One feature I found compelling was the built in variable speed with rotary phase converter - just plug into 220V and go. I don't know about other brands, but my Sharp was made in Taiwan, and I presume that's generally a good thing.

Since he has room for a Bridgeport or its clone, that's what I'd tell him to fill it with. Maybe 9 x 42" table, variable speed, hard chrome ways, one-shot lube, way covers and factory installed DRO option. Also include a set of R8's in 1/16's.

Back