Which lathe?

I started with an Atlas 10" (as did a friend of mine). It's an ok starter lathe but it does have a few glaring issues.
Most have change gears. They are a pain in the behind. Yes, you can change them pretty quickly but they are still slow as compared to a gear train. It is also dirty work to change those gears.

They were not made to hold tight tolerances. They were not made to be a precision item. I am sure someone will come around and say that they can reliably peel off .0001 with their Atlas but that has not been my experience.

I think you would be further ahead to keep an eye on Craigslist for ads near you. Most likely one you can't pass up will show up within a reasonable period.

Thank you for your opinion...this is exactly what I'm looking for, people with personal hands on experience. Anyway, I'm sure the Atlas machines are fine but I think I'll avoid them and look for something a bit more precise. I've looked at quite a few advertised online and some look pretty good but now I'm beginning to get a bit spooked with thinking about buying something that needs a lot of attention - I don't need or want any more projects. That is why I originally asked about specific areas to focus on when looking at any of them in person. I know a fair amount about fabrication and the tools that normally go with it but lathes just don't happen to be one of them. Any other opinions from anybody here are certainly welcomed!

Back