which brand of Silver & Deming bits do you recommend?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I mostly need 5/8" 3/4" and maybe 1" bits, to drill Aluminum /Brass , mild steel but if I get a deal on a set, I'll consider it.
The brands available to me is Viking, Hertel , FMT ,but I read a mini review in this thread on Drillhog S & D set which sounds not bad for the price ($56.99), what concerns me the most is how soon their shank start to warp if at all ,the cheaper brands all seem to suffer from bent shanks, some right out of the box!

Please let me know which brand of S & D bits you've been using and are happy with, and which you don't recommend.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a deal, Princess Auto currently has an 8-piece set (9/16 - 1") on sale at $39.99 (from $75). I can't comment on the quality (can't expect much from PA), but will likely grab a set in the next couple weeks if I can get out there.

I bought the harbor freight version, very disappointed, I would not recommend them.
I saw a post here recommending these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171709553029
The price was good, every bit is Sharpe, they cut thru crs 1018 and 1045 like butter, i use them almost every week on either the lathe or the mill. I am very satisfied, the ebay seller ships quick...

Hth
Rich

Princess Auto currently has an 8-piece set (9/16 - 1") on sale at $39.99
Those are the ones that will likely have bend or chip, ,Amazon sells them too but like you said I'm not sure of their quality.

I saw a post here recommending these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171709553029
The price was good, every bit is Sharpe
That drillhog brand keeps popping up in in a few discussions I read here and other places,most people like the quality and the "no questions asked"-warranty.I wonder if I'm better off buying the two sizes I need from a better brand

Surprisingly I've been using a cheap China set that I got on ebay. They'e been doing the job so far.

Thanks Rich for that drillhog link & thanks Ken for posting this thread to remind me that I should buy a better set set.

thanks Ken for posting this thread to remind me that I should buy a better set set.
No problem will, that's what we're here for , to give each other ideas on what to buy next :D,sometimes the buy list gets too long and it's harder to choose which one is more urgently needed:guilty:

Most of my S & D drills are one's made from tapered shank drills with the shank turned down to .500". Some are slowly getting replaced with real S & D drills. If you drill a lot of holes, get the cobalt M-42 drills, well worth the money. Just buy the sizes you need in M-42, they are expensive. As for the brand, all the ones mentioned, along with SKF, Dorman, Cleveland, and others that don't come to mind, are good too.

Most important in my view is to buy a good quality set and that they have three flats milled on the shanks to engage the chuck jaws; if they are just circular, count on them spinning in the chuck and chewing up the shanks.

Just buy the sizes you need in M-42, they are expensive

M42 was my first choice but I read in another thread that they can chip easier . I just checked their prices,wow, almost double the reg HSS.

Last edited:
Most important in my view is to buy a good quality set and that they have three flats milled on the shanks to engage the chuck jaws; if they are just circular, count on them spinning in the chuck and chewing up the shanks.
+1 on the flats. I have a bowman set and are very nice. Almost 10 years on the same set

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back