Which Boring Head To Get For A Mill?

Gents,

I've used Criterion for 45 years and never had a problem. I also use the chinese carbide boring
bars as they are adequate for most things. For hardened work i use the Micro 100 bars.
Good tools last a lifetime.......

I have 2" and 3" import boring heads from CDCO. The shanks are separate, so I bought MT2 and MT3 shanks that I can interchange between them so either can be used on all of my machines. They are low cost, but sturdy and reliable.

I think the most important part of the boring head is the cutter. I haven't had much luck with the cheap brazed carbide boring bars... they seem to be hit and miss as far as durability goes. I bought a nice little indexed carbide boring bar from Shars for a specific boring job, and it works great.

CDCO, Shars, and many others all carry the exact same boring heads. I would save money on the boring head, and spend it on the cutting tool. An import boring head with an Iscar, Walter, or (insert your favorite insert here) is a good usable tool. Just my $.02

GG

Just recently I did my first project on my ancient Index mill. One of the few pieces of tooling that came with it was an early Criterion square bodied, offset boring head, which only goes to 1-1/2" dia, and I needed >2". So I have ordered a (supposedly) NOS 3" offset boring head by Mesa Tools. For both heads I've ordered stubby and short, brazed carbide-tip bars by Criterion and Borite, to start.

Back