Which bandsaw to keep, working Taiwan bandsaw or unknown status Kalamazoo bandsaw

nnam

Registered
Registered
My 7x11 Taiwan bandsaw is an old one, but it cuts for what I need. I also bought a Kalamazoo bandsaw 7AW. I don't know if it works or not. It takes 220v, but I think only 1/2 hp motor. The reason I ask because I heard Kalamazoo bandsaw is good, but is it really that good? I am very busy, so I don't have much time to try it out. Yes, it's kind of ridiculous when I am thinking why not go down and plug it in? I think the motor works, and even if it works, I don't have a blade for it yet.
Should I try to get it to work or just sell it? I can't keep both.

Kalamazoo saws are good saws. I always prefer better quality when possible, however only you can determine if the Kalamazoo is in good shape. Personally, I would sooner put the Kalamazoo into solid working order and use it.

Richard

I tell you what. I'll swap my Harbor Freight 4x6 for that Kalamazoo, and that can free up some floor space :) !

Seriously, I've never used a Kalamazoo. My levels of expectation are based around the HF 4x6, and that means I naturally tweak mine often because it keeps coming out of alignment. Even if the Kalamazoo had the same quality, another technique would be comparing the price of consumables (i.e. the bandsaw blade). Which one would be cheaper to operate? (That's simply if they both functioned flawlessly.)

Plug the 7AW in and give it a try. You might immediately like it and know which one you want. What are the capabilities? (e.g. are you missing parts?) Can you set the Taiwan bandsaw up in vertical mode permanently while keeping the Kalamazoo horizontal, saving a minute on changing out the vertical plate?

I am unaware of the cutting capacity of the 7AW.... is it larger, or the same size?

I tell you what. I'll swap my Harbor Freight 4x6 for that Kalamazoo, and that can free up some floor space :) !

Seriously, I've never used a Kalamazoo. My levels of expectation are based around the HF 4x6, and that means I naturally tweak mine often because it keeps coming out of alignment. Even if the Kalamazoo had the same quality, another technique would be comparing the price of consumables (i.e. the bandsaw blade). Which one would be cheaper to operate? (That's simply if they both functioned flawlessly.)

Plug the 7AW in and give it a try. You might immediately like it and know which one you want. What are the capabilities? (e.g. are you missing parts?) Can you set the Taiwan bandsaw up in vertical mode permanently while keeping the Kalamazoo horizontal, saving a minute on changing out the vertical plate?

I am unaware of the cutting capacity of the 7AW.... is it larger, or the same size?
I used to have a 4x6 Taiwan bandsaw that I used as a mobile one, outside the house, even though I have a portable saw.
I had to sell it to clean up.
I have to rewire my welding plug for regular 240v plug to try out the Kalamazoo saw, or actually, maybe if I can find an adapter, that would work better.
It seems to have all the parts, but I didn't look into it carefully. I think I need to buy a blade anyway. Maybe on a rainy day, I get it to work.

Last edited:
I have a Kalamazoo 610, a 6x10 saw from the 1960s. Mine has a 1/2hp motor wired for 120v which matches the spec in the manual. The 7 series replaced the 610, and is a 7x10" saw, it should have a 3/4hp motor.

Vintage Machinery has the manual available as a download.
Kalamazoo 7A

I have had my 610 for less than a year, but am quite happy with it and I haven't even done any work to it yet. I figured out mine was made around 1967-68 so it is a little over 50 years old. It came out of a fabrication shop, replaced with a cold saw. It wasn't abused, but it was clearly treated as just an old saw so it needs some clean up, adjustment and a new blade, but even as it is currently, it just works.

I don't know what your other saw is, but I would at least give the Kalamazoo a chance, and see how much work it needs. As a brand these are well regarded saws.

I have a Kalamazoo 9A, 9” x 16” capability. I have used the imports 4x5, 5x7, with and without coolant recirculation. I can tell you there is no comparison, as far as I’m concerned. The big saw is a simple design, reliable and solid. The vise works. The import saws also work, but...ah, there’s no way to explain it...if you like tools, fix up the K., whatever it takes.

Did you happen to pick up the saw at a GovDeals auction? I see the same model sold at the DC water and sewer authority auction a few weeks ago. As others have mentioned Kalamazoos are good machines if they haven't been abused. I would do an assessment to see what all is needed before making a decision.

Personally if it's in decent shape I would keep it and let the Taiwanese one go. Parts are still available for these saws, but I'm not so sure they are for most anything built in Taiwan. Make sure to check the prices of any parts that might be needed. These saws were sold to fabrication and industrial shops. While they are robust and long lasting replacement parts can be a bit of a strain on a hobbyists budget.

I bought this saw few years ago, not from Govdeal though. I don't recall where I bought it.

Last edited:
I picked up a well worn Kalamazoo several years back, after replacing a few standard bolts, and boring the idler wheel to take a bronze bushing, it is in great shape. Not many specialty parts, so if the gear box is in good condition, the rest can generally be fixed easy. I still have my HF band saw, but have not used it since.

Back