[Source] Where's a Good Place to get Mild Steel and Al in E. Bay CA?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As the title says, where is a good (reasonable) place in the Bay Area to get angle, bar, and plate mild steel and aluminum stock?

Just checked out Alan Steel--looks like a great place. Unfortunately I don't have a truck and they're only open M-F (seems to be a common theme for metal suppliers).

Time to get creative!

More info please. What are you making. NASA parts? A gate? Need certs? A truck load of stuff?...And???
First projects will be a welding table and a wheeled base for my lathe bench, so no certs needed.

For the welding table I'm thinking 2" square tubing for the frame and 2 of the legs, and 4" for the front legs, and 1" for the stretchers. The top will be ~2' x 4' 1/4" plate.

For the lathe bench, I'm thinking 2" angle iron with plate stock to mount the caster/legs.

In addition to that stuff, I want to get some easily machined steel and aluminum bar stock to practice making small parts out of big parts.;)

Time to buy a truck! LOL actually I thought I heard once about a steel and surplus place near Pleasanton...I know there's at least 1 place in Oakland
Mark S.

I primarily use Gorilla Metals in Santa Clara. They also have a location in Hayward. They will cut to size for a nominal fee.

For large aluminum pieces Coast Aluminum in Hayward.

Time to buy a truck! LOL actually I thought I heard once about a steel and surplus place near Pleasanton...I know there's at least 1 place in Oakland
Mark S.
There is Pleasanton Steel, but they're only open M-F as well.
http://www.pleasantonsteel.com/

I work in Fremont, so Santa Clara or Redwood City (or maybe even Hayward) are as convenient. I'm trying to find someone to trade vehicles with me for a day. Then I just need to figure out how to muscle the steel into my shop.

There is Pleasanton Steel, but they're only open M-F as well.
http://www.pleasantonsteel.com/

I work in Fremont, so Santa Clara or Redwood City (or maybe even Hayward) are as convenient. I'm trying to find someone to trade vehicles with me for a day. Then I just need to figure out how to muscle the steel into my shop.
Did you buy your new truck? :D

Back