WHERE TO START WITH INDEXABLE LATHE TOOLS?

genevamotorsports

Registered
Registered
I just got my old Southbend 17 x 54 with a 7.5 hp motor up and running. I'd like to get started in carbide indexable for general turning (steel, aluminum, brass). I plan to purchase a CA size wedge style holder. I do have experience with HSS on smaller lathes but virtually none with carbide. The amount of choices are mind boggling. Can anyone recommend a few general "go to" inserts and holders to get started?

WNMG Trigon inserts are excellent general purpose turning/facing tools in ferrous metals either OD or ID turning when the set up is rigid.
CNMG 80 Deg. inserts will also face and turn and are available in many material specific grades, coatings, chip breakers and edge shapes.
DCxx 55 Deg. are excellent for finishing and turning close to a center or small under cuts, not very good for roughing or facing however.

Mostly buy a tool that suits the work best, you will end up with dozens of different tools for varied operations.
Good Luck

I would start with a TPG style insert and holder. Aloris makes a combination holder for the CA (C16) that takes 400 series inserts, but you could buy individual holders that have 3/4" square shanks and fit into plain type holders, both should have the inserts held with the cutting edge parallel to the shanks; these holders would take inserts of the 300 series insert, which are cheaper to buy and unless you are contemplating heavy cuts, would work out fine. I use both on my 19" Regal Leblond, the 400 series for heavier work, the 300 for smaller jobs. Occasionally I use negative rake inserts in a similar double ended holder TNG style (C16N) when I am working on a project with interrupted cuts, but only until the cut is continuous, then I go to the TPG holder and inserts, as they cut with more accuracy and less horsepower.

Good advise, I'd say look at the tooling and make your choice. Parting tools are another you'll want. Boring bars in a couple sizes. Try getting ones that use the same insert to make life easier. Just makes cents ....

Good advise, I'd say look at the tooling and make your choice. Parting tools are another you'll want. Boring bars in a couple sizes. Try getting ones that use the same insert to make life easier. Just makes cents ....
Yes, try to use the same insert for as many tools as possible; I have boring bars that use the same TPG inserts as my turning tools. I like HSS boring tools for the smaller sizes, especially the form ground type that the Bokum Tool Company makes in several types for through boring, flat bottom boring, and threading. For parting tools, I'd start with HSS T type blades; I bought a very large lot of carbide inserts (the better part of 50 lbs) and with it came carbide insert holders and inserts. The first time I tried insert parting with tools bought from Aloris, my success was not good, with lots of broken inserts and destroyed blades; there is definitely a knack to it, with an expensive learning curve. I can now use insert parting tools with confidence, but I still break them occasionally, but then the inserts and blades came cheap!

Back