Where to start? Thinking of converting my mills and lathes to CNC.

I will do some more checking into it. Once the computer is in XP mode, I will leave it there.. unless there is a power failure and have to bring it up again.

Doc

I'm still around, just have been dealing with studying for finals right now. Something I should still be doing right now instead of goofing off on the internet...:whistle:

Anyway, I remembered something that would be of help to anyone wanting to run different OS's (XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc...) on one computer simutaniously. There's a free program called VMware Player that allows you to configure as many OS's as you have liscenes for. The program is free and can be downloaded here ---> https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/5_0
There are 6 files available for download in the link:
- First file is the VMware Player for PC's using Windows 32 or 64 bit OS (most people will need just this first file)
- Second file is the VMware Player for PC's using the Linux 32 bit OS
- Third file is the VMware Player for PC's using the Linux 64 bit OS
- Fourth file is VMware VIX for PC's using the Linux 32 bit OS
- Fifth file is VMware VIX for PC's using the Linux 64 bit OS
- Sixth file is VMware VIX for PC's using Windows 32 or 64 bit OS
* I don't know what VMware VIX is as I've never used it. It's not needed to run the regular VMware Player though.*

While VMware will allow you to run older OS's on a newer PC, I don't believe it will allow you to run newer OS's than your PC's internal hardware can handle. If you PC has Vista, you can load 7 and have it function properly. I'm not sure if Win 8 will work on a Vista based machine as I haven't installed 8 on anything yet. If you have a PC running XP currently, It really depends on the capabilities of your computer hardware wether or not you'd be able to run Vista or anything newer on it. This program is basically designed to give you backwards compatability to let you run most older programs that require an older OS than what you have currently.

Thank for the link Mopar! Now that you mention that, I do seem to remember that program. I went ahead and bought a used XP machine.. with the Windows 7 and the virtual PC and XP mode on the Windows 7, the Mach3 driver test would only pulse at about 3.3K.. with the XP machine, it pulses as it should.. at 25K

Another avenue to look at, when using 64 bit OS's, laptops, is the Smoothstepper. Preferably the Ethernet version. Windows 7 32bit works fine with Mach3, as the PP driver is 32 bit. So the need for the Smoothstepper is not really needed. But when using the Win 7 64 bit version or a laptop...The smoothstepper is the way to go.

Thanks for the tip slowtwitch! I'll have to look into that.

I'll be getting the funds to set aside for this project this coming Friday, so I had better get cracking on nailing down exactly which parts I'll need pretty soon. The spring semester starts the Monday after that so that'll slow things up again unfortunately.

Isn't that the way it always seems to work out though? When you have the time, you don't have the money. When you have the money, you don't have the time. I will move this project forward, just not as fast as I had hoped. :))

I was finally able to set a decent amount of money aside for the X2 conversion. Does anyone have a suggestion which kit to get? Ebay? Website? where should I start looking? If at all possible I'd like to order from as few different places as possible to keep the shipping costs to a minimum.

I'm planning to just stick with converting the basic 3 axis on the X2. I'll save the 4th axis setup for when I get ready to do the Bridgeport.

I ordered a bunch of work holding equipment for the Bridgeport a few minutes ago (vise, angle block, 1,2,3 blocks, parallel set, tee nut & bolt sets, etc.) but until it all gets here, I'm pretty limited as to what I can fabricate right now. Are there any decent kits out there that have the stepper motor mounts for the X2 pre made? I'll also want to upgrade it to ballscrews at the same time so I'm reading up on the necessary mods to make them work with this little mill.

I'm also going to be ordering the belt drive kit from LMS so I can get that upgrade done before I start the the CNC conversion. I've been wanting to do that mod for a while and now is as good a time as any.

EDIT: I found the ballscrew and motor mount kit I was thinking of. It was the X, Y, Z kit at CNC Fusion. Now I just need to figure out the rest of the components for it. I also just ordered the Belt drive kit as well as the optional head counterweight air spring assist kit from LMS. It's gonna be getting busy in my shop pretty soon.

EDIT EDIT: Just ordered the CNC Fusion kit #2 for the X2. http://www.cncfusion.com/minimill1.html Thats all for me for tonight. I'll hunt down the remaining parts tomorrow.

Last edited:
I went with the CNC Fusion kit for my SX2 mill. Most of it went smooth as to putting it on the mill. The only snag I had was that the Z axis mount for the ballscrew had to be shimmed a bit to get it to line up right. After that, without the tension attachment on the mill head, the mill head would wind itself to top of the table.. so I put the tensioner back on the mill head and it stays in place now.. I can grab the screws and move the head by hand just twisting the screw.

What kind of head tensioner do you have on your SX2?

I was also wondering where You had to shim it? On the head or the column? The videos of the Z-axis install on CNC Fusion's website didn't mention shims anywhere. Do you think it may be a result of the difference in size of the SX2 compared to the standard X2?

BTW: Those videos were very hard to sit through. The setup could have been a lot more streamlined and planned out better to reduce the repetitiveness. The guy in the videos kept moving and removing the head support clamp lever to clear the ball screw during installation. Why not just pull the head completely off before you start and flip the clamp over 180* to put the lever on the opposite side and then not have to worry about it at all?:thinking: On the bright side, from what I did see the install looks a bit easier than I had imagined it would be so the videos are still useful to watch.

Mopar,

My SX2 is from Little Machine Shop.. I had to shim it on the head between the side of it an the mount that attaches to the head.. As for the tensioner, I am using the one that came on the machine. I didn't get the oversized ball bearings for the nut on the screws.. I have read several times, that you will wear out your ballscrews faster that way.. so I went with the standard set up..

As to when I set up the mount for the Z axis, I did just as you have mentioned. I removed the head completely and went from there.. In fact I took the Z axis completely off and laid it down on it's back to do the work on it.

Doc

Back