Where To Source These Parts?

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
Hey all. I have an Atlas/Craftsman 618 lathe and its missing a few of the knobs/cranks. I found them on ebay but theyre like $50 a piece and I really dont feel like spending that much. Is there a cheaper alternative for these? I dont want to invest a lot of money into the lathe yet because I want to learn first and see if its something I could get the hang of. I have attached pictures of the knobs/cranks im talking about. The one on the cross slide is broken, the one on the compound rest feed crank (I think thats what its called) is missing, and the speed handles for the crank wheels are missing. Thanks in advance!

handle 1.jpg handle 2.jpg

Looks like a nice first project to me :)
You can cut all those shapes on your lathe, then use a file and emery cloth to smooth them out.

The missing compound wheel is a bit more difficult. You wanted to learn casting right? lol
get a cheap import replacement wheel and sleeve or ream it to fit. Make a new one from scratch when your skill improves.

Here is an oxtools video where he has to make a new hand wheel for his big rotary table before he can proceed with the main project.
He makes the speed handle contour by eye. You can scale this down for your compound

Wow its amazing what one can make with knowledge and the right tools. I literally have no idea what Im doing so Im not sure if ill even be able to attack that as a first project haha. My lathe is apart right now I had all intentions on restoring it but at this point Id rather just put it back together and see how I do then figure out if its worth putting the time into to restore it.

Hi
When I bought handles for the 618, I went to clausing as they are very knowledgeable on these lathes.
They were cheaper and new with no hidden surprises. If not happy with the price then go to mcmaster carr .
As a last resort eBay which is a hit/miss at best.
Tomh

Back