Where to buy a quality new blacksmith post leg vise?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi George,
where do I get a well made post leg vice for blacksmithing.
Probably a 4 " would be good.
Ebay people selling them know nothing about them.
Neither do I, that is why I rather get a new one.
Ebay wants 600. For a 128lb with a bronze receiver, which seller says is very rare.
If the scre is messed up, it won't be any good to me.
Thanks,
Jon
ps
blacksmith depot kayne and son sell a 4" for 700. New

Jon
I have a good used one if you are interested. I used it in my basement wood shop for years. Where are you located?
Nick

The usual way to get one is to buy it used at a blacksmith shop meet. You have to learn how to check the screw. It is just like a lathe lead screw. If the screw is goofed up, that does not mean that the vise cannot be repaired. It just means that it is hard to repair using traditional methods. Repair it using a bought screw and weld it up.

Hi George,
where do I get a well made post leg vice for blacksmithing.
Probably a 4 " would be good.
Ebay people selling them know nothing about them.
Neither do I, that is why I rather get a new one.
Ebay wants 600. For a 128lb with a bronze receiver, which seller says is very rare.
If the scre is messed up, it won't be any good to me.
Thanks,
Jon
ps
blacksmith depot kayne and son sell a 4" for 700. New

Centaur Forge in Burlington WI is still in business. It used to be the nation-wide go-to place for blacksmithing and farrier equipment and supplies. ABANA is the artists blacksmiths of North America and most likely have a web site. They should have links to vendors. Here is a link to their offerings: http://www.centaurforge.com/Vises/products/139/

Bob

Craigslist and Facebook are popular for getting rid of old tools, mostly because the next generation is not wanting to haul around heavy tools they do not know how to use. Some are abused but most are not.

Back