Where do yo keep your Machinist Handbook ?

One in the shop toolbox , and have one by my bed and another on the bookshelf.

Ken
That is the smart way, That way when you get grease etc on it you do not have to worry just print again the next time you need it. Problem is notes go away with it .

Bookshelf above maintoolbox has the big print hardcover 26th edition.
I have the companion and engineers blackbook with me (stored in truck)

Last edited:
Mine sits on my work bench for easy access. It's rare that a day goes by when I don't use it.

I’m using mine as one of the front leveling feet under the lathe.

I love that reply. I've never owned a Machinery's handbook for the simple reason that I was a toolmaker, not an engineer or designer, and after making chips for the last 45 years everything I need to know about the machining I do is already in my head, due to experience and actually listening to and retaining the information that was taught to me in Shop Theory class. The only book I have are trig tables, which are in a shirt pocket version I have. If I ever need to use one I'll look it up on the internet, but in all this time I doubt I ever will. And for all you conspiracy guys, I wonder if Gerstner was paid to create that center drawer in their toolboxes. Hmmmmmmm.

Let's add to the conspiracy, the drawer was originally made for the American Machinists' Handbook. My dads very old Kennedy tool box has a drawer that is not big enough for the Machinery's Handbook but is just right for the American Machinists' handbook. It's a little bit smaller. Did I say Kennedy tool box?

yes, it was a joke, my garage floor is rough, but not that bad. I have four of them from #17 to #27, in various places in the shop, along with 3 or 5 various handbooks from Hartford Steam Boiler, the USN, Curtiss-Wright and a few others.

Ken is correct on this one, The American Machinists handbook came first.

"Billy G"
Bill,

I didn't realized, It came out before the Machinery's handbook. Interested.

BTW: I have the first seven editions. I haven't been able to find a 8th edition at a reasonable price to buy.

Ken

Back