Where can I get replacement Jaws?

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
I purchased a HF 12x36 lathe and it has 1 of the reversible jaws for the chuck. Any idea where I could purchase the other 2? BTW, I purchased it used and the owner has moved.

I think you have to buy a chuck
what spindle thread and size chuck is it 3 or 4 jaws
steve

If its a import lathe, the chuck will be as well. In that case, looking for replacement jaws will be a wasted effort. You are better off just buying another chuck.
The import replacement chucks are pretty reasonable priced these days.

The jaws can't be replaced separately. They have been ground as a set to the chuck itself. Best you could do is machine them to kill off any runout, but this technique requires a special fixture to be made, and will give you round ended jaws rather than flat.

You may get away with replacing all three as a set, but I tend to think this may end up being more trouble than its worth. I'd say your best bet is to get another chuck...

John

HF parts service has undergone a massive change in the last 2 years. I used to get excellent service and outstanding prices, albeit delivery was slow (but things were coming from Taiwan). I bought a 5 step cast iron pulley for a mill drill and a gear rack for a drill press (bent it!) and things were really good. Now there is no direct phone service; one has to submit an email and receive a quote. If the quote is in order then you call a toll free number and quote the email quote number and the HF associate takes your shipping information. Price is predicated on shipping date (close to quoted price or so they claim) and so therefore HF calls you back when the component arrives stateside to collect the bill and ship the item.

HF is just lame as compared with the past. I would venture a guess that HF was using an outside vendor for parts and decided to end that relationship - at the expense of customer service. Grizzly is very good provided you have a part number. Grizzly will attempt to match other brand Asian components with the understanding that there is no guarantee about fit or anything. You can ship the part to them at your expense and they will try to match it. You pay return shipping and for any parts you purchase (of course).

I have never tried ENCO for parts. They are a division of MSC, although this is never mentioned nor promoted. If anyone has any experience with ENCO or MSC parts service, I would be interested in hearing your experience. There used to be an outfit that advertised parts for most all Taiwanese machine tools. I never used them and I have not seen their advert in the last couple of years. For American machines I have had some very good experiences with Plaza Machinery in Vermont. Occasionally, Plaza has some bits and leftovers for Asian machines at bargain prices.
Geoff Morgan

Back