Where can I get precisely ground cylindrical tool steel rods for metrology ?

maxime.levesque

Registered
Registered
A lot of measuring techniques involve the use of cylindrical rods, for ex, to measure dove tail with a micrometer, one can place rods at both ends, measure the distance between the rods, subtract the diameters.

I'm not equipped to turn rods as accurately as I'd like (unfortunately), so I'd like to buy a few,

McMaster Carr sells with a somewhat decent accuracy, I've also looked at end mill blanks that can be had with an accuracy of "0.0002,
end mill blanks have the advantage that they should last given the hard alloys.

I'd like to get suggestions of sources for buying precisely ground cylindrical blanks, at reasonable prices.

a few pairs of length of "3 would be ideal, of widths, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4.

Do well pins work but may require extra math thought processes.

Thompson rod is ground on size and would be what I would use if I was making up tooling I was wanting to keep for future use.

You will need carbide or a cutoff saw to work with this.

There’s a pretty big gap between mating dovetails. A big enough gap for a gib strip held firm with gib screws. Unless it’s paid work with tolerances called out, there’s not much excuse to worry about .0002” on the diameter.

You can buy plug gauges in any diameter you want with tolerance down to .0001.

Carbide blanks are readily available on ebay, relatively inexpensive too
I can’t say for certain what the tolerances would be, but I’m sure they are worthy of investigating.

Gauge pins are relatively inexpensive for single sizes and are excellent for the purpose of measuring

Dowel pins are very precisely ground usually within .0005”
Carbide endmills are usually within .0005” too

Fastenal.ca carries drill rod which has pretty tight tolerances

Plus 1 on gauge pins. I use my sets quite frequently for many projects. Joe Pie uses them to locate a visual center on model castings. I use them to check hole sizes while machining. They come in handy on the mill for many reasons
The import sets are very reasonable.
This set is from Meyer. I paid $200 for both. No pins missing :)

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 6
Back