Where are our little Unimat Machinists ?

Hi,
I no longer have the Unimat3, however I must say I had a great pleasure in working with it on small parts. A few years ago I had the opportunity to acquire a TOYO ML1 with a lot of accessoires and tooling, so I bought it. For those who seek a little machine that might be able to forget your positive experiences with the original Austrian made Unimat3, this ML1 could be an alternative. They are pretty rare nowadays, so when you "encounter" one in good order with accessoires and tooling, don't hesitate to grab it.
You all stay healthy ( w.r.t. the worldspreading Corona virus)!
Regards, Max

I have a unimat 3, I spent a wonderful hour machining a 20mm steel sleeve to take 1/4" shank end mills for my newly purchased end mill grinder, taking 0.1mm face cuts on a 20mm steel blank to remove about 4mm from the end, taking it careful due to a 45mm standoff, i was producing some glorious chips. i then drilled out 6mm, and reamed out to 1/4", unfortunately my 1/4" end mills were obviously oversize, so I ended up drilling through with a 6.5mm drill for a 59 thou clearance, after which everything fit perfectly.

I like playing with my unimat sl. I don't do anything very serious with it though.

made some more chips today on my unimat machining the dowel pins for my 3d printed half nuts 0.1mm cuts hand feed

Attachments

• IMG_3678.JPG
    IMG_3678.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3679.JPG
    IMG_3679.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3680.JPG
    IMG_3680.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
I'm an engineer and machinist. In my previous employment, I was allowed to use the machines for personal projects. When that ended I started dreaming about owning a machine shop of my own. I found my Unimat SL on Craigslist not knowing they existed. My first mission is to clean in up and attach it to a solid ash base that I made from a log. I'm really looking forward to making some chips!

Attachments

• Base Layout.jpg
    Base Layout.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • Cut Log.jpg
    Cut Log.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Cut Wood Base.jpg
    Cut Wood Base.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • Lathe And Beer.jpg
    Lathe And Beer.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 25
That's a lovely looking little machine!

YouTube poster "Adventures with a Very Small Lathe" is a very interesting and capable hobby machinist who has just acquired a Unimat lathe and is posting videos about it, highly recommend. Nice machine you have there.

Back