When Was The Last Time A Box Of .30-30 Cost Under $6?

strantor

Active User
Registered
I recently acquired a hand-me-down lever action .30-30 from my dad, which belonged to my late uncle. He passed 10yrs ago. It's a mystery as to why he had the gun, as he wasn't known to be a practicing big game hunter. His .22LR saw a lot of use in the back yard on squirrels, but nobody can remember him ever "going hunting."

The condition of the gun reflects this. It looks brand new, completely unused. Along with the gun were four 20rd boxes of Remington Core-Lokt ammo, marked $5.75 from Wal-Mart. I'm hoping they can help me date the gun. I'm assuming he bought the gun and the ammo at the same time and then never used the gun aside from sighting it in (it was dead-on @ 100yds).

My uncle lived in Louisiana, and according to Wikipedia, WalMart opened in LA between 1967 and 1972. The only historical data I have found so far is "average price of a box of ammo" (no caliber or brand specific) and only going back to 1999. Hoping someone who was around and shooting in the 60's - 90's can recall something helpful. I'm just curious.

Reactions: DHJ
I recently acquired a hand-me-down lever action .30-30 from my dad, which belonged to my late uncle. He passed 10yrs ago. It's a mystery as to why he had the gun, as he wasn't known to be a practicing big game hunter. His .22LR saw a lot of use in the back yard on squirrels, but nobody can remember him ever "going hunting."

The condition of the gun reflects this. It looks brand new, completely unused. Along with the gun were four 20rd boxes of Remington Core-Lokt ammo, marked $5.75 from Wal-Mart. I'm hoping they can help me date the gun. I'm assuming he bought the gun and the ammo at the same time and then never used the gun aside from sighting it in (it was dead-on @ 100yds).

My uncle lived in Louisiana, and according to Wikipedia, WalMart opened in LA between 1967 and 1972. The only historical data I have found so far is "average price of a box of ammo" (no caliber or brand specific) and only going back to 1999. Hoping someone who was around and shooting in the 60's - 90's can recall something helpful. I'm just curious.

You should be able to get a better fix on the age of the rifle from its serial number. What is the make, model, and S/N of the rifle? Someone here should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

You should be able to get a better fix on the age of the rifle from its serial number. What is the make, model, and S/N of the rifle? Someone here should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.
good point, I hadn't thought of that. I guess that's what serial #s are for after all, DOH!

I'll post the numbers this evening after I get home.

Back