1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

when do you use a live center instead of a dead center?

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by Ken from ontario, Jul 2, 2017.

1. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Let us know how it turns out. I'm looking for another live center with a 3 MT shank.

Ken from ontario likes this.
  2. Bamban

Bamban United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Austin
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I made an offer on this Skoda Mike linked, the seller accepted. Got it for $75, plus the shipping. Perfect for my favorite lathe, the Jet 1024.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    mikey, darkzero, 4gsr and 2 others like this.
  3. darkzero

darkzero Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I've seen some too & it doesn't look hard except if you don't have the capability to regrind the nose. Some people just clean it up on the lathe though.

But if you don't feel like doing it yourself or can't, Royal & Riten both have repair programs. They'll repair/recondition live centers for most any manufacturer if possible, doesn't have to be their own. Whether or not that's economical, I don't know, not sure what the rates are. Of course you wouldn't send in a cheap $40 import center.

4. bfd

bfd United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    nipomo
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

time for another definition. I was taught that if the part rotates on the center then its a live center if the part doesn't rotate on the center then its a dead center I like the bearing center verses the no bearing center bill If you get a cheaper center you probably wont notice much difference try it before you condemn it I have even used a homemade center that worked great bill

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  5. Ken from ontario

Ken from ontario Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

I'll soon find out, the one I bought was the least expensive live center that seemed not a total waste of money.I would imagine a shop made live center with a good ball bearing could perform just as good ,in fact I would like to try building one with my new lathe.

4gsr likes this.
  6. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Growing up, that's all I had to work with was a homemade live center dad made. It got us by until I bought a new Rohm live center around 1978. Still have that center, too. Oh, the homemade live center, well I turned it into a revolving center with a 3" 3-jaw chuck mounted to it to hold material long enough to cut a steady rest groove on it. Been handy at times.

Attached Files:

7. Bamban

City:
    Austin
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I like that revolving TS chuck. There were a couple of times I could use one.

Ulma Doctor and 4gsr like this.
  8. Ken from ontario

Ken from ontario Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

A revolving center with a 3"chuck , what a great modification, I wonder if a smaller chuck like a drill press chuck would work.:encourage:

4gsr likes this.
  9. dlane

dlane Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oroville
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

10. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I bought one of those cheaper live centers for my mini-lathe. Every time I tried to use it kept getting chatter no matter how much pressure I put on the part. Once I even stalled the lathe trying to put more pressure on. Change to my dead center and I never get any chatter. So now I only use my dead center with lots of grease.

Ulma Doctor and Ken from ontario like this.
  11. Bamban

City:
    Austin
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

The MT2 Skoda live center arrived today, a nice surprise it got here so early. I will find out soon how it does compared to the ChiCom unit I have. 20170707_170436.jpg

12. f350ca

f350ca Canada Active User Active Member

City:
    Calabogie
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

I have a 6 inch Bison live 3 jaw chuck. Handy for working with pipe.
    [​IMG]

Greg

Glenn Brooks, dlane, 4gsr and 3 others like this.
  13. Hotbluechips

Hotbluechips United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    winchester
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Dead centers are almost always used on cylindrical grinders. The one that is driven is called a live center, the one in tailstock is called dead center.
    On a lathe, Dead centers are useful for putting in spindle bore taper for between center turning, In the tailstock you use a Bearing Center or a lubricated dead center at relative slow speeds. And as with a grinder, the center that driven or rotates with spindle is called a live center. Regardless of what tool sellers call them, unless it is driven with machine power, it is NOT a live center. Should add that carbide tipped dead centers are a must for super precision turning or grinding.

14. benmychree

benmychree United States John York H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

On every cylindrical grinder that I ever ran or owned, the headstock center did not revolve, only the driving plate revolved, The center could be allowed to revolve by disengaging the lock; this was done to allow the driving plate to rotate the center(s) when regrinding them when they are worn; if carbide tipped centers are used it becomes difficult to regrind them, a diamond grinding wheel being necessary to accomplish the task. When regrinding centers, the tailstock center is ground first in the headstock, removed and replaced in the tailstock, then the headstock center is ground so that it will be concentric in the headstock.

15. pdentrem

pdentrem Active User Active Member

City:
    Niagara Region South
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Our ancient Landis grinder, we have the option of the driving plate or the driving plate and the spindle together. There is a sliding pin that moves to lock and unlock the spindle from the driving plate.
    Pierre

16. benmychree

benmychree United States John York H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Saint Helena
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

On my Norton 18 X 48 Universal, it worked the same way, and a chuck could be mounted on the spindle nose and driven by the driving plate; This was a late 1950s machine, I think.