Wheel balancer adapter for 124.9mm

vintageiron

Registered
Registered
I picked up a set of new tires for my one truck last week. I got done mounting them up and realized that I didn't have the right adapter to mount them on my spin balancer. I opened up the adapter page and priced the adapter needed and almost fell over after seeing the price.
I went to the material shelf, grabbed a couple chunks of 1" aluminum plate, roughed out two circles on the bandsaw, milled all sides flat with a flycutter, centered and bolted the two pieces together with an index pin, and then took to the lathe to finish.
I cut the ID to match the 65mm cone ID used on my balancer, I cut one plate to 124.9mm, then took it down to 124.5 with a few fine cuts. I rounded out the backing plate, and reassembled.

I was going to under cut the mating surface and cut an oring groove in it but it worked so well just as is, I left it alone.

All done on a plain old Craftsman Commercial (Atlas) 12-36

adp1.jpgadp2.jpgadp4.jpgcomcraft1.jpgcomcraft3.jpgcomcraft4.jpg

Very cool, I've had to do nearly the same thing for our balancer, and I see you've made a lot of Christmas tinsel, Happy Holidays. :)

It took longer to clean up afterwards then it did to make the adapter.
I've got a couple barrels full of 'tinsel' like that from other projects over the past year or so.
I've made quite a few custom adapters for the wheel balancer and tire machine over the years.

Back