What's the Purpose of this Micrometer?

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Made by the JT Slocum Company Providence RI. It's a 1" mike attached to a 5/16 rod 6" long. It is factory made, not something thrown together. What is it's purpose??

"Billy G" :whistle:

huh (700 x 525).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Here We go Again

Well, Bill. Regardless of what it's supposed to do, you could mount it in a holder (missing from photo) in a collet in the spindle and use it with a piece of paper or a feeler gauge to tram a mill.

super easy answer for me - "I DON'T KNOW"!! (that's my answer and I'm sticking too it)

Bill,
Does the 5/16 rod attach where the frame "normally" would? And as a consequence does it no longer have an anvil to bear against?
Also, is there an anvil or similar on the back of the 5/16 rod near the sleeve/thimble? Can we get a different angle shot on it?

Cheers Phil

I too would like to see a picture of the end of the thimble. Also is the anvil flat or conical? Which way do the graduations read?

It has no avil. Just the Mike head. Yes the 5/16 rod is where the C would normally be attached. The end is flat. The numbers are in the same direction as a normal Mike. Graduated 0 to 1". There is no lock or ratchet.

"Billy G" :dunno:

My guess would be that it's part a custom inspection gage.

It's a micrometer on a stick.......

Seriously, JT Slocumb made a lot of custom stuff with micrometer heads. It could be a custom piece or it could be something they made for the user to customize to their need. The Providence, RI will date that before they moved to Glastonbury, CT in the early fifties.

I am with "OldMachinist" it could be easily mounted to check height/length of parts.

big john I am almost sure they still have something going on in W. Warwick RI. I will check.

Back