What's the proper cutting fluid

What colour is it? Ive got a tub of mistery cutting grease that came with my first lathe, i'm sure its some sort of animal fat but ist much yellower than lard and seperates into a yelowish thin oil and cream colourd lard if it gets left somware warm.

it works amazingly on steel and i'm starting to run low.

stuart

Neatsfoot oil doesn't seperate. It's liquid at room temperature (but not, unfortunately, in my shop just now).

I use a mixture of 1 part Mineral Oil, 1 part Murphy's Oil Soap and 5 parts water. Works for drilling and cutting, lubricates and helps cool - I just put it in a spray bottle and apply as needed it doesn't take much. So far (10+years) it has not caused any rusting issues on parts , tools or tooling.

I am sure the commercial solutions are probably better, but you can make a gallon of this for about $5.00

For lathe work with carbide I cut dry. On Steel, tapping and reaming I use either dark Mobil cutting oil or Lard Oil that is sourced from McMaster-Carr.

You can still purchase TCE if you claim to be a scientist. A google search with come up with some sources. It isn't cheap but its pure so you just put a few drops in a pint of your favorite oil and it makes a difference especially on stainless, or difficult to tap metals.

For aluminum I use kerosene, wd40 or lamp oil, with a dash of the wicked stuff.

michael

For steel I use Ridgid Dark sulphur oil from HD/ Lowes and for aluminium I use WD40. Both make a large difference in tapping and a noticeable difference in cutting, although my cutting machines are very light weight and entirely lacking in rigidity, so the contribution of the oils might be more a reflection of that.

One thing for sure though, WD40 really helps prevent chips galling to the cutter, either an endmill, drill or toolbit. Makes a huge difference. One day I'll buy a gallon and brush/ squirt it on as using a spray can is a PITA sometimes.

I've been using dark (sulfur) thread cutting oil for steel. Applied sparingly with a acid brush. I've had good results using kerosene on aluminum for general cutting and Tap-Magic for tapping. I've started collecting bacon grease to use in the shop. Does anyone use it straight?

gi_984;256657 I've started collecting bacon grease to use in the shop. Does anyone use it straight?[/QUOTE said:
Yes, i have dabbled with using it straight.
i found that 10% mineral oil mix kept the grease a little smoother and it doesn't get rancid very quickly.
it will stay put on a drill bit spinning, tap or when turning.
if you make a hybrid of 10-20% dark cutting oil and 80-90% bacon grease you got a metal moving mix that doesn't make you gag as badly.

i generally use a 50/50 ish mix of BG and mineral oil,
just because i don't like the smell of the Dark Cutting oil.

What colour is it? Ive got a tub of mistery cutting grease that came with my first lathe, i'm sure its some sort of animal fat but ist much yellower than lard and seperates into a yelowish thin oil and cream colourd lard if it gets left somware warm.

it works amazingly on steel and i'm starting to run low.

stuart

Hi Stuart,
a presumption on my part completely,
after heating and cooling a few years the mystery stuff probably just got darker in color.
could be that it's lard oil, but i can't rule out sheep's fat, :thinking:
i have a bacon grease/mineral oil mixture that has darkened after a few seasons.

I have watched quietly now I am going to blow your minds --- I hardly ever use any. Tool life is just fine. I do not need to take deep cuts, .020 max and mostly .010. I have all the time in the world to get a job done. All it takes is patience.

"Billy G"

Hi, Bill,

Now this is very interesting, and I'd like to understand why it's true. :think1: This is because I use a mini-mill and a mini-lathe, and usually limit my cuts to .020" or less anyway, though I will take heavier cuts in aluminum sometimes. Is the reason you don't see shorter tool life due to the light cuts? Because if that's the case, I should be fine without cutting fluid except for harder materials. (I discovered recently while milling some "soft jaws" that "soft" is an opinion, not a statement of fact.) Of course, cutting fluid is required for tapping (Tap Magic Pro Tap for me), drilling, etc. I was working on a project the last few days where I was milling steel for a couple of vise stops, and used Re-Li-On, which did a great job but also made a great mess, requiring that I add a catch basin to my shop vac to catch the oil that drips back out after I vacuum up the swarf.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated!

Hi Stuart,
a presumption on my part completely,
after heating and cooling a few years the mystery stuff probably just got darker in color.
could be that it's lard oil, but i can't rule out sheep's fat, :thinking:
i have a bacon grease/mineral oil mixture that has darkened after a few seasons.

The seperation layer is like olive oil or thinner viscosity and does mix back in after a bit of mixing, im thinking its a mix of two things(or more) it does have an animal fat kinda smell but i cant place it, definetly not backon althoug i did have to stop and make a backon sandwhich the other day when using it , hummmm

Its definetly very efective what ever it is and quite easy to clean off.

it does melt a bit like butter on toast if you put a dob of it on the tool before a cut.

Stuart

Back