What's the best way to mask prior to sandblasting?

strantor

Active User
Registered
I just got a sandblaster and I'm going to tear down my old power hacksaw and sandblast the whole thing and repaint it. There are machined surfaces right next to painted ones, and I don't want to damage the machined surfaces. I was thinking of just masking those areas off with duct tape. Will that be sufficient or is there a better way?

Use a solvent to remove the oil residue then apply the duct tape. Make sure you press down the edges well and watch your angles as you abrasive blast.

I would highly suggest removing the duct tape as soon as your done. Leave it on too long and you will invoke the use of the universal adjective :lmao:

exactly, duct tape is great. ive used it as templates for etching glass with sandblaster. . .

A sandblast shop that I go to for some parts only uses gorilla brand duct tape, supper sticky tough stuff. They have never damaged any of the machined surfaces of the parts I have had them do for me.

I have done this on hotrod parts and I have always just used regular duct tape, which does not blow off. If I am going to do a lot fine work right next to the tape edge, I will make up and use a thin sheet metal shield to minimize the abrasive blast on the tape edge. I have never had a problem with the tape lifting and if you remove it right away after blasting, it comes off pretty good. A little solvent clean up to remove any adhesive residue and the part is ready to paint.

Back