Whats Missing From This Taper Attachment

cfuzz987

Registered
Registered
I have a Sheldon r15. Not sure of the year. I have most of the pieces for the taper attachment but I am missing the threaded bar and clamp part I think. Just wanted somebody with more knowledge to enlighten me on what's missing and where/how to acquire/fab the parts needed so I can use my TA.

I have some pictures so you can see all what I have.Taper attachment.JPG

here is the end on the tail stock side. Looks like a bar was attached there at one point?
Taper attachment end.JPG

My uncle had a Sheldon. I recall sitting on his garage floor watching him. I must have been around 5-6years old. I talked with him about it before his death, he told me it was a clapped out Sheldon. I just remember watching his hands.

Have you checked out the parts diagrams and manuals at:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2133&tab=3
Specifically, "Sheldon Lathes Options and Accessories"
It isn't much. Sorry.

However, I did find some pics when I searched images on the internet.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
On the left side of your first picture, there are two pieces of metal, one on top of the other. I'm going to guess that if you put a bolt (screw, washer and nut) through the two pieces and clamp them tight, your lathe will cut a taper.

Hi cfuzz,

My lathe is a 1937 Southbend 9 inch, but I believe the taper attachments are mostly quite similar.

I think you are missing a rod that comes out to a clamp for the ways.
The idea is that you lock the taper attachment (via this rod) to the ways, set the angle on the attachment, and make the cross slide follow the angle by disconnecting it from the cross-slide lead-screw.

Below are some pictures of mine.

In the first one, the handle on the left locks the top slide to the small dovetail follower on the taper attachment.

southbend_ta1.jpg

The picture below shows the clamp that locks it to the bed ways.

southbend_ta2.jpg

-brino

Last edited:
here is the end on the tail stock side. Looks like a bar was attached there at one point?
View attachment 110851

I have a pre- R-15 Sheldon lathe that has a similar taper attachment as yours.

In your last picture posted, there is a image of a pin there on the edge of the lower slide. That is a tapered pin. Remove that pin and drill out the dutchman in the end of the lower slide. It is not a threaded hole, I found out the hard way and sheared off the pin thinking the bar was threaded into the hole. I'll get you a length measurement of the bar that goes into the hole shortly and post. Brino's picture of his is very close to the Sheldon's taper attachment.

Ken

EDIT: Checked the length of the bar on my taper attachment. It is about 7-1/8" between shoulders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back