What's it worth?

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've found a couple of lathes within 125 miles of me and wondering what a fair price for them would be. The Southbend does have more pictures and shows it having a tail stock.
Don't know much about Jet lathes but it appears to me to be a bench lathe comparable to what some Grizzly's look like. It does come with a steady rest and QCTP.

I already have 2 lathes but seems like those little Southend's are favorites among hobbyists. Just wondering what a fair price for would be each one. Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    576 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    449.6 KB · Views: 48
The Southbend will be hard to find parts for.
That is an "O" model, not a C.

Last edited:
I had that model Jet and I have a South Bend 9A. Both are good machines. The Jet can do with a few easy mods to make it better.

It comes down to what you fancy if you already have a lathe. A big thing to consider is the SB lack of a QCGB. Is it missing change gears? Also the Jet will have a far better chance of having ways in good shape.

If you like old school like me. The SB is a cool old lathe.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Sorry. I sold my Jet just like that one for $900. I bought my SB for $700.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Sorry. I sold my Jet just like that one for $900. I bought my SB for $700.

Cutting oil is my blood.
I've Made a deal on the South end for $500 they are asking $500 for the Jet

I think you will like the Jet a lot better, assuming it isn't thrashed.
Threading gearbox good!

That Jet is basically the same as the Grizzly G4000. $500 is a decent price for any brand of the 9x20 and Jet usually seems to sell for a bit more than the others.

I have an Enco 9x20, it is a decent small lathe roughly equal to a SB9C or similar. Only 39" long and 20" deep making it more compact than any 9" SB. SB will have 1/2 to 3/4" more actual swing.

The gear box on the 9x20 is mostly for controlling the speed of the powerfeed, you still will need to use change gears for threading. No power cross feed either, which would give a SB A or B an advantage.

Get both.

Cutting oil is my blood.
I am considering doing just that. They are both a little over 125-mile drive from me but only 26 miles from one another. This hobby is certainly addicting to me. I already have 2 lathes and 3 mills. 1 shaper and 2 drill presses and 3 horizontal saws! :fatigue: Did have 3 drill presses but gave one of them to my son.

Back