What would you say this is?

tab_a

Registered
Registered
This came with some other stuff I bought--lathe parts, end mills, etc., and I'm not exactly sure what it is. About 8" long, shank is 1 1/4", cutting diameter measures about 1 5/64 (or more accurately 1.080). Is it just a plain large drill bit, and if so why this point angle?

IMG_7568.JPG

IMG_7569.JPG

IMG_7683.jpg

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7685.jpg

IMG_7686.jpg

Is the body on that tapered? Mike

It's an endmill with radius corners. These are used when there is a call out for a radius inside a corner. Used to hand grind and stone a radius on many endmills like that through the years.

Does the body have a taper? I am with Bill. We used something similar when we were making plastic injection moulds. Ribs always have a taper and can be formed by a tapered end mill. And to provide better drop test performance on our tools we would specify a radius at the bottom of each rib. This was a pita for the machinists and often were not included. If it is indeed tapered it is often stated on the flat of the weldon shank where the set screw lands.

David

Does the body have a taper? I am with Bill. We used something similar when we were making plastic injection moulds. Ribs always have a taper and can be formed by a tapered end mill. And to provide better drop test performance on our tools we would specify a radius at the bottom of each rib. This was a pita for the machinists and often were not included. If it is indeed tapered it is often stated on the flat of the weldon shank where the set screw lands.

David
No it's not tapered. Thanks.

I have quite a few milling cutters like that which were pretty obviously reground to the rounded corner configuration to give them new life after the original square corners got chipped off. No reason to throw them away, and better for roughing work.

Bob,
I remember doing a quick radius by hand to touch up a dull endmill because the place didn't have a way to sharpen endmills. They always sent them out fo resharpening.

Back