What Would Cause This?

I don't know, it might be. I just looked at the machine he referenced. It's a half size mill. So like the one I got today (Clausing 8520) very similar. I'm also thinking that if the voltage was stolen by something else for a second, the slowdown or blip definitely could cause a problem. That's why we play with surface speeds to get a certain finish, and anything too fast, or too slow will give us less desirable results. Is it the answer.. possibly. Just not enough to draw any conclusion. Try to repeat the exercise and blow the compressor tank and let it cycle while working, see if it causes it.

You might see a change in finish if the speed varied but you would not see a gouge as shown in the pic. This was an issue with the tool itself.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Sounds like a it was a BUE.
The machine is on it's own circuit shared with my mill that was obviously not running. So i don't think it was a power perturbation but that is an intersting thought.

Recently, while watching a UTube demonstration, I picked up on the fact the the presenter was using alcohol as a coolant/lubricant on aluminum. his explanation was that the cooling effect reduced build up on the insert. I borrowed a squirt bottle from the kitchen, fabricated a brass tip with a tiny hole in it. Its been a God-send, I can place a drop or two on the cutting edge as it cuts, (lathe or mill) it leaves no residue, and keeps the work cool. And, a quart bottle of rubbing alcohol costs under two bucks.

Did the block have a hole drilled in it before milling? I see a small round spot right in the deep line. Could just be coolant? If there was a hole in the block it might have been enough to cause this.

No there wasn't a hole. I thin just the way the photo came out.

Back