What Vise For An Atlas Mfc Horizontal Mill?

spongerich

Registered
Registered
I've started using my Atlas mill that I picked up last fall and none of my milling vises really fit it.
All of them (Including the Atlas one from my shaper) all seem to stick out the back too far and interfere with the column if I want to use an endmill or a drill in a collet Was wondering what other folks were using?

I do have an old unmarked vise with a fairly large cast iron coolant try molded into the base. I was thinking of just milling off the back of the base so I could get closer to the column but before I do anything drastic, I thought I'd check in with what others are doing.

If it were me I'd buy and original Atlas one. The bases for the shaper are different for both the vise and rotary table. In fact if I remember right shaper vices alway have 4 bolt points. Not sure what other vices people are using on them. -J

I haven't used the vise on mine much, but if the Atlas shaper vise has too much overhang, I'm pretty sure the Atlas milling vise will too. I think the vise part is the same on both -- just the swivel base that is different.

When I've had to get the workpiece close to the spindle, I've clamped an angle plate to the milling table and then clamped my workpiece to that.

I agree with Tool-in-the-Box. The original Atlas M1-300 swivel vises are expensive and scarce but they will fit the machine. If you can't find or can't afford an original, then get the dimensions and find a cheap one of about the same size or that with some machining, can be modified to about the same size.

My vise isn't handy to measure at present but from the drawings on the vise instruction sheet, it appears that the swivel base might stick out from under the vise proper by maybe an inch. The milling cutter holders also stick out of the spindle about an inch. So if the vise is swung around so that the drive end is to the operators left and the work piece is flush with the edge of the vise jaws, it would appear that you could run the workpiece all the way up and hit the cutter holder with it.

Last edited:
Wish I could send a pic of the vise mounted to the machine but my Atlas mill resides at my parents house which is over an hour away from me. I have both the vise and rotary table. As well as other neat things like the factory oil pump system.

I'm still looking for the factory oil pump system. Haven't turned up a sniffle in over a year.

I believe that, this is the only one I have ever seen. I have had a few of the square oil drip ones though. When I got it the pump didn't work but I cleaned it up real good and it now works fine.

The only part I am looking for now is the Marvin Slotting attachment. Personally I think my chances of winning the lottery are better.

i had this vise given to me and so far it fits the bill so to speak but it is a bit tedious to adjust.

P1010454.JPG

Rots a ruck with the slotting attachment. If you should stumble across two, let me know. ;)

i had this vise given to me and so far it fits the bill so to speak but it is a bit tedious to adjust.

Thanks. I do have a small grinding vise similar to that one, but there's no slots on the side to secure it (I'm assuming it's made for a mag chuck).
Maybe I'll slot it. Then I guess my next project for the mill will be some hold downs for it.

Back