What Type Of Coolant System Are You Using?

Jeb1234

Registered
Registered
I'd like to put a coolant system on my 1340GT, and am looking for recommendations.

What are you guys using and where can I get one?

It would be handy if I could share the same coolant system with my 9x35 Mill instead of buying two.

My lathe has flood coolant built in. It is pristine, has never been used. Flood coolant is the best choice for high performance machining, allows high speeds, keeps the work and tool cool and therefore more accurate, and improves surface finish by washing away the chips. It is also an awful mess, while using it, while cleaning up the floor, and while cleaning up the stinky, rancid mess in the sump. It can also rust machines and tooling. Machine shops use lots of flood coolant, hobby shops very little.

I have a mist coolant system and find it a useful compromise for certain work. The mess is smaller and better contained. You get much of the benefit of flood cooling without all the mess. But it is a compromise.

It is possible to just use cutting oils and other types of "liquid love" which help surface finish, cool the tool somewhat and the work a little. Much less of a mess, much less benefit.

Finally, you can just cut dry. On some materials, with the correct tools, speeds, and feeds it works just fine. On other work you get an awful finish and hot parts and tools and more wear and tear of cutting edges.

All of these methods can be shared between machines with the right equipment.

It is pretty easy to try out everything except flood coolant, which takes more of a commitment. See what works best for you...

I have a Fogbuster, 1/2 gal. version on my 935. Thought about just swapping back and forth to the 1340, but am going to get another one so I can do a more permanent install. Just personal preference, as the Fogbuster is easily moved around.

A mist or fog buster type system would be better for a lathe over a flood system. Trying to contain flood coolant would be a major undertaking. How do I know this? I ran a turret lathe in my younger days and at the end of the day I was soaked head to toe with coolant. And this was with a machine designed for flood.

Terrywerm (spelling?) has a thread on making a fog buster system, including drawings. I used his drawings to make my system and it works great.

Tom S.

I use a Trico mister because I got a supper deal on it on EBay. Most misters can be set up and run like a fog buster -micro drop system. I have used manual lathes with flood coolant, just adjust it for a drip and no mess. But for most work I don't use coolant at all. A mister or fog buster is small enough to move from the lathe to the mill as needed. Now just to prove it will work I made a drip coolant system from a 1 gal. bug sprayer that works quite well.

Thanks everyone. It looks like a Fogbuster type of system would probably work well for me. I'm just a little concerned about air quality in my garage, especially in winter when I have everything closed up. I need to install a ventilation fan in the building anyway, but hopefully, this type of system won't leave a mist floating around to inhale and rust everything.

Dave, those plans look pretty straight forward and I think I have all the parts on hand...if the wife doesn't mind me taking the water filter from the kitchen...

I have a Noga Minicool and work in a small enclosed shop as well (20 x 12). You can dial in the air and coolant flow such that it doesn't fog the air. I really like it. Small, mobile, and you can use any reservoir you can come up with.

You don't want a "mist," regardless of the name of the system. You want droplets that stick to the tool and the work, and do not fog the air. That should be able to be done with any of the systems, regardless of brand by adjusting the pressure and the mix of air and coolant. I am using an old Wesco system:
http://www.wescotool.com/mistcoolantsystems.cfm
that I got with a mill. I had to clean up the grime and repair leaks at two of the bottom corners of the stainless tank, it was well used but works fine. I use Koolmist 77 for coolant. I recommend using a coolant that is formulated for mist cooling, probably better for your health...

Back