What Type Of Aluminum

6061 for lathe work. It is readily available and cuts nicely. Probably not the best choice if you want to bend it or weld.

I'm talking general purpose stuff for a new guy to learn with.
Has anyone used 6262. I've read it is very good for machining.
6061 for mill work also, correct?

Generally, you want to use the material that is suitable for the function of the part. Now, with that being said, I mostly use 6061 for my parts. It machines OK and is usually strong enough for what it is used for. Not only the flat and round, but the tubing as well is 6061. I find that it welds really nice too. So again, to answer your question, you need to use the material that is best for that part to function, then consider the manufacturing processes. Hope this helps.

For stuff that doesn't have higher strength requirements: 6061 For stuff that needs to be a bit stronger, 7075. I also find that 7075 machines/turns nicer than 6061. :)

I would suggest sticking with the more common grades as mentioned above, 2024-T4, 6061-T6, and 7075-T5 grades. 3003 is found in ornamental extruded shapes and thin walled tubing. Any other grades are considered special.

As Ken alluded to, you also need to know what temper your alloy is. T0 is the soft condition and it is indeed very soft and gummy. You will not like it for machining. T6 or T651 tempers are what you will usually find in 6061 alloy stock, and they are good for machining and for strength, easy to come by, and versatile for many projects. That is the short story, along with what the others said. Study the links that Billh50 gave you and get a feel about what is commonly used where.

Back