What tooling is this?

John TV

Registered
Registered
My son-in-7f120702a85f0b2ce6ded11753381b4c.jpg608f8ab42bd64393b18fc6b5e7c237df.jpg833891fb8b88a079e06f8c9af86eb40f.jpgce7b7a71373c4afe6ffe6e8cd12dbb04.jpga36634be4853ca91de184993d5b675f1.jpglaw found these at his place of business and thought they were part of a metal lathe which he knows I have. I am still new to this hobby/ obsession and I do not yet own a mill, but from YouTube these look like R8 tooling for a mill. You will see from the pictures one is some kind of arbor to hold cutters or saws and the other appears to be a carbide tipped. ???
That's my question is this a face cutter or maybe a annular hole cutter? Hoping you all might help me figure it out. Also,in the relatively near future I am hoping to acquire a 2 hp pm30 bench top mill. Will that mill be able to use the carbide cutter? Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are obviously mill tooling, the one with the tool bits is a face mill, the other can hold any arbor style cutter, such as the radius cutter shown or a slitting saw or any other type of arbor mounted cutter; nothing to do with lathe work.

These are obviously mill tooling, the one with the tool bits is a face mill, the other can hold any arbor style cutter, such as the radius cutter shown or a slitting saw or any other type of arbor mounted cutter; nothing to do with lathe work.

Thanks. I was not very clear in that I realized right away that it was for a mill. That said, I have never seen in person an r8 tool of any kind. On the face cutter, the thing that throws me a bit is the angle ground on the outside of the bit, not the cutting carbide but the steel behind it. What is that angle there for, its purpose?

If you take the second arbor apart, you'll be able to measure the diameter of the mounting shaft. (Possibly 1") The cutters for that arbor are actually made for a horizontal mill. These can be very useful for an R8 mill.

Thanks. I was not very clear in that I realized right away that it was for a mill. That said, I have never seen in person an r8 tool of any kind. On the face cutter, the thing that throws me a bit is the angle ground on the outside of the bit, not the cutting carbide but the steel behind it. What is that angle there for, its purpose?

It is the common angle of a lathe tool bit that gives some radial pressure on the tool so that it does not tend to draw into the cut and cut undersize; this is not so important with milli9ng as with lathe work, the tool bits could as easily be straight as with the lead angle.

I have one of those four-tool face cutters, came with a box lot of tooling. I put four HSS 3/8 tools in it, it does a good job of facemilling when used to skin a small cut from the surface.

Back